don't like what's (not) on the web? do something about it
Aug 20, 2005 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
quick rant/comment:

there are still gaps on the web. you can fill them.

3 years ago, i had the same thought. i was an avid head-fi'er, rapidly filling this place with all sorts of crap bleeding out of my half-baked head. mostly, strong opinions about mp3 players and the like. i happen to favor this tech above all others. but where to go for a definative source of news/reviews/commentary? CNET? lol. iPodLounge? too narrow. as were other product-specific sites like Nomadness and Riovoltion.

so... i learned basic html, pretty easy. made a simple webpage about mp3 players and soon met a like-minded individual. we built from there. a year later, figured out that dynamic sites were the way to go and went with a php/mysql based CMS. learned about blogging and news reporting. learned about servers and linux and web design.

today, dapreview.net

a good result, i think. still a long, long way to go before we hit mainstream, but a good start.

the point being, ANYONE can do it. i would encourage you to puruse your interests and build something better on the net.

i would be happy to offer support for anyone interested in doing the same. keep in mind however that it will take a lot of time and effort but the results can be rewarding, and it can all be done from comfort of your home, in your spare time.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 2
Excellent thread, Austonia. I do plan on doing just that, with my written works. I plan on starting a website for my untitleable book series(I'm not giving it linked titles, no way- it wouldn't work for my intent). I'm sure it's going to be tough getting everyting I want to be cohesive, but I'm sure it'll work. Also, don't look down on your work at dapreview.net- I constantly suggest people looking into mp3 players/iPods look to that site for guideance, as I find besides a search engine that could use some revisions, it is a great place to come to for that info, and now it's essential, IMO.

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back