Don't like sound of Klipsch x10's - alternatives...?
Apr 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LilyFly

New Head-Fier
Seeking Expert Advice...

I just purchased the Klipsch x 10's (2 days ago) but don't like the sound. Their ok if it's a song with just a guitar and vocalist but bring in any guitars - eg Kings of Leon - and they sound too brash.
I have been looking for replacements, would appreciate some advice as the online reviews I've been reading do vary. I listen to a lot of guitar-focused music - KOL, Cold Chisel, Jimi Hendrix, but collection includes blues, singer/songwriter stuff, pop. Let's just say everything!

Possible replacements:
Shure 425
Shure 535 - but these are leaning on the "out of my budget" but will stretch if amazing
Sennheiser ie80
Entymotic ER-4P

If I like balanced bass, clear but not scratchy, brash guitar sounds, sweet highs that don't over reach and give you a headache. An solid all-rounder I guess that will give me listening pleasure no matter what I listen to.

Thanks,
Lily

PS. Have tried Klipsch s4i, (quite nice) Grado iGi (didn't like), Ultimate Ears 600 (quite nice) Black Box sound isolating (sound a bit muffled)

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Considering that you like the Klipsch S4i and the Ultimate Ears 600, as well as that you think the treble on the Klipsch X10 is brash, you probably want something with recessed treble. I don't know exactly what headphones fit this description, but keep in mind that that's what you'll probably want to look for. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I vote for the IE80. 

Of all the the IEMS in my sig I tend to prefer the IE8's; and the IE80's are supposedly tuned slightly better with a reduction in mid bass.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 11
eq-5 and GR07 are my recommendations.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 11
That's surprising.  The general consensus is that the Klipsch Image X10 have a rolled off and smooth treble.  I personally don't see any fatigue when using them besides the pressure building up from the seal ^^.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was surprised too about the Klipsch x10's, was expecting them to be really nice listening after doing heaps of research and reading on them. I even considered whether they were fakes but they were bought from Klipsch store so that's pretty unlikely. They just sounded sort of 'raw' to me when listening to rock. Didn't think there was uh point in holding on to them if I didn't enjoy them after a whole day of listening. Was lovely and clear with musicians like Ray LaMontagne - just a voice and a guitar but those sort of sounds are in the minority of my collection.

Need an earphone with clarity, instrument separation, no shrill sounds in the high points and a clear perfect bass. So hard to know which reviews/reviewers to listen to and which to buy...

L

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was surprised too about the Klipsch x10's, was expecting them to be really nice listening after doing heaps of research and reading on them. I even considered whether they were fakes but they were bought from Klipsch store so that's pretty unlikely. They just sounded sort of 'raw' to me when listening to rock. Didn't think there was uh point in holding on to them if I didn't enjoy them after a whole day of listening. Was lovely and clear with musicians like Ray LaMontagne - just a voice and a guitar but those sort of sounds are in the minority of my collection.

Need an earphone with clarity, instrument separation, no shrill sounds in the high points and a clear perfect bass. So hard to know which reviews/reviewers to listen to and which to buy...

L

Hey there, you mentioned you bought the X10s from a store. I don't know if you have access to brick and mortar audio stores, but if you do, you can consider dropping by to audition earphones. This will no doubt be the best "review" - your own ears.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 11
You might want to maybe try out some Westone 4 as well. I enjoy them quite a bit when it comes to piano and strung instruments. They're good as far as timbre accuracy goes (of course with everything around here, that's just to my ears. lol.) If I recall correctly, the Westone 4 (non-R) were going for low $300's brand new not too long ago.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 11
My favourite.
Quote:

eq5 also very nice.  study, comfy, balanced sound.  strings sound nice on them.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 11
I really enjoy the Yamaha EPH-100 with rock and alternative music.. These have excellent instrument separation and clarity in the mid range which I really like for rock music.. Nice and punchy bass added to the mix and they are not overly expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back