Don't know what to buy D:
May 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Squallio

New Head-Fier
So I was recently given $170 on paypal for something, and I was going to buy a Turtle Beach x3 for my Xbox 360 gaming. So I read about that, and I saw mention of the Tritton AX360, so I decided I was going to get that instead, because of the superior quality.

This was 2 days ago. I was completely 100% clueless about audio. Now I have some sort of idea, kinda.

So after reading these forums, Amazon reviews, other audio sites, etc, I discovered that I am ****ing dumb. I read about the Sennheiser HD555's and the Sennheiser HD595's, and decided I was going to get the HD595's.

That was before I heard mention of "Headphone Amps". I didn't even know **** like that existed before yesterday.

So, tldr; I don't know **** about audio, but I want a good sounding system. I'm going to be using whatever I buy with my laptop, xbox 360 (With the ****ty microsoft mic around my neck for the microphone), and my phone (which doubles as my mp3 player, with a few 4gb MicroSD cards). I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD555's, considering I'm pretty sure that the HD595 model requires a good Amp, but I've heard mixed things about whether or not the HD555's need one or not to produce good quality sound.

If those phones need an amp then I will need to find a different headphone, as my budget can not increase.

Thanks

May 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 17
From what I've heard, the 595s are basically a redesign of the 555s. Search for them on head-fi...IIRC, they're basically 555s with foam inserted in strategic places. I doubt they'd need an amp any more than the 555s, though probably both would benefit.

May 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 17
For gaming I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s. They're very comfortable (I can't stress that enough) and for gaming they sound great. I haven't tried them amped yet but unamped they sound great and most people will tell you they don't really need an amp.

Do some searching, there has been a lot said about them. Also, check out Kool Bubba Ice's base: Kool Bubba Ice's Base

By the way, needing an amp is sort of an exaggeration. Headphones will work without an amp, some just really depend on the amp to sound as good as they can.

May 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 17
what type of headphones do you need anyway? open or closed? circumaural or supra-aural? do they have to be portable?

May 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what type of headphones do you need anyway? open or closed? circumaural or supra-aural? do they have to be portable?

Open or closed doesn't matter.

Don't know what Circumaural or Supra-Aural means.

Don't have to be portable

May 4, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, needing an amp is sort of an exaggeration. Headphones will work without an amp, some just really depend on the amp to sound as good as they can.

That very much depends on the headphone.

May 4, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Circumaural = Around-ear

Supra-aural = On-ear

No preference really. I just want some quality headphones, that are comfortable, and can be driven well enough without an amp.

I'm pretty much leaning towards the 555's, but I still need to know if having no amp will be worth it or not. Or if buying a cheap CMoy would be enough?

May 4, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

For gaming I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s. They're very comfortable (I can't stress that enough) and for gaming they sound great. I haven't tried them amped yet but unamped they sound great and most people will tell you they don't really need an amp.

Do some searching, there has been a lot said about them. Also, check out Kool Bubba Ice's base: Kool Bubba Ice's Base

The AD700 don't improve much amped at all. The AD700 is far more source dependent. The AD700 is great for positional gaming like FPS's. For atmospheric gaming, it might not suit due to it being bass-light. The Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm version is also recommended here.

May 4, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't waste your money on the HD555. Get the AD700. All the reviews comparing them indicate that the AD700 is the superior headphone.

I've read a lot of comparisons between the two, and for some reason I'm very inclined towards the Senns. I don't like the way the AD700 looks, and I completely love the design of the HD555's.

May 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 don't improve much amped at all. The AD700 is far more source dependent.

FWIR, yes, that seems to be the case, but I have not tried them amped, so I felt it was necessary to mention that I haven't experienced the difference.

The AD700s are much nicer-looking in person than in pics, you can't quite capture some of the neat things about it in a picture (such as the way light reflects off of the grill). I've had people comment on how they look kinda cool, and I agree with this. Of course no one would call them sleek or stylish, but they are 'cool', in my opinion.

May 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You buy headphone for the sounds, not for the looks.....

Also consider the Audio Technica 'A' series like the A700 or A900.

I'm not deciding based on the looks, just saying that I like the Senn's looks more.

May 6, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 17
AD700s are a great choice, and they do improve some with amping (they git a little bassier), but not very much. I would not amp them anyways unless you have a clean source, cause otherwise amping them will just make them sound worse (they will have all the interference amped, so it will be easier to hear). From what people say, Senns sound much better amped than not. So I think the AD700s are really the way to go. And the purple and gold is not as bad as it looks in the pictures lol. Like Oggranak said, they aren't stylish, but they are cool in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back