Don't Knock Portable MD Amps
Oct 28, 2002 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
A/B testing my new zero ohm output impedance headphone amp against the amp in my MZ-R909 MD player reveals something astonishing - the Sony MD's headphone amp is no slouch! I have to wonder why portable players get so much stick in this forum. I measure the output impedance of my MD at 2 ohms, and the thing drives the HD580 as loud as I want. Most of the time I have the volume set between 22 and 26, although I have occasionally needed full volume (30/30). Even then it doesn't distort.

I think this performance beats the headphone outputs of most component equipment unless you're trying to drive AKG's or something with voice coils wound out of old toaster elements.

Admittedly the ergonomics of a (Sony) MD recorder used as a general purpose amp are rather poor. You have to go into Rec-Pause mode and also set RecVolume to Manual to prevent any possibility that the automatic gain control will compress the sound. However, if you try this one rainy day and A/B against some more expensive alternatives you might get a pleasant surprise.

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Hmmm, I just bought a 707 and I wonder how it stacks up. Maybe I'll do a comparison with my Little and see what the difference is.

I'm guessing the amp section of your 909 is better than what I have in the 707 though.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 5
Your findings about the relative "sound quality" performance of even cheap portable devices vs. separates and their headphone outputs seems to correlate well with a measurements/listening review published in the Finnish 'Hifi' magazine:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...106#post207106

I have just added abit to the review translation about impedance matching and how it affects sound quality.

regards,
Halcyon

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Wow, thanks for the extra info and confirmation Halcyon, that stuff is gold.

The funny thing is, the lower output impedance actually gives you slightly less bass on the HD580, which can sound subjectively less impressive. Previously I had noticed what seemed to be the more "authoritative" and "fuller" sound of a component system headphone jack (as compared to my portable MD) and assumed that the extra power must be the cause. However, now I realize it was an illusion caused by the extra bass. When I listen closely (especially to piano, drums & timpani), the lower midrange and bass are less detailed from a high impedance amplifier.

BTW Halcyon, how about adding a few details to your profile, or is it too early for that yet?
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Indeed, the review mentioned by Halcyon was one of the reasons I purchased a Corda HA-1 (near 0 ohm output impedance) for my HD600s.

IMHO, what the HD600s need is *less* bass, not more.

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back