Don't bend your wires, don't touch them at all!
Apr 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
Cold working your interconnects can reduce conductivity by 2 to 3 times.

Yup.

Creates dislocations in the crystal lattice which reduces the electron mean free path and hence reduces conductivity.

You can always re-anneal the wire, but the insulation won't like it much.
biggrin.gif

se

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 19
I can now see companies marketing completely inflexible "cable" for millions.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 19
I don't know, actually. But I remember how people were distinguishing between different elemental platings on connectors, which amounted to distinguishing the difference in the Fermi surface of a material ... and this is probably masked by the amount of bending and twisting you do to a cable when you move it around in between listening.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 19
You aren't really plastically deforming the Cu unless you bend the cable quite a bit. Therefore you aren't creating any dislocations.

Considering you are using drawn wire, there are already a massive amount of dislocations present, not to mention the low stacking fault energy of Cu, which gives it a huge propensity for twinning. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Cold working copper to 1% strain reduces conductivity by a factor of 100.

And I'm not sure where you are getting that info, but between coarse grained Cu and nanocrystalline Cu there is about an order of magnitude difference in the conductivity, not 2.

Just look at this paper about differences in conductivity due to twinning in nanocrystalline Cu

http://www.synl.ac.cn/org/mat/llu/PDF/japchen201006010686.pdf

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
And I'm not sure where you are getting that info, but between coarse grained Cu and nanocrystalline Cu there is about an order of magnitude difference in the conductivity, not 2.

Just look at this paper about differences in conductivity due to twinning in nanocrystalline Cu

http://www.synl.ac.cn/org/mat/llu/PDF/japchen201006010686.pdf

lol, he was joking

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Considering you are using drawn wire, there are already a massive amount of dislocations present...

Only if you buy it "as drawn."

Otherwise, most all of the electrical grade copper wire out there has been annealed.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back