Dongles vs DAPs (What do you prefer?)
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #16 of 41
You can definitely use both at once in certain circumstances. For example, I use my HiBy R3 Pro as a digital transport when I connect my Lotoo PAW S2 and Cayin RU6 dongles via USB. But I only do that at home.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 41
I've been a DAP person for a few years now. I started with one of the low-to-midrange Sony DAPS -- the NW-A57, I think --- and recently moved up to an A&K SR35. My primary reason to start with the Sony was that I was going into the office everyday, my music collection didn't fit on my phone, and I was fed up with trying to find some of the weirder stuff on streaming services (although I had a large Bandcamp collection). Getting it all on a 1TB card seemed to be the way to go.

I've stuck with using a DAP for a couple of reasons. First, I do like having all of my music in one spot, period. I can listen to whatever album I want when the whim takes me, or just punch up a genre and be surprised by something I haven't heard in a while. Second, and this is the real kicker for me, is that it saves my phone battery. Even now that I'm working at home, it's just nice not to worry about the cell phone battery (which I use for work), and traveling it's been great --- I just run down the DAP on the flights and during connections, and know that my phone will be fully charged when I reach my destination for directions/uber/hotel confirmation/whatever. A DAP and a good set of IEMs, or noise cancelling headphones which I'd wear anyway, are lighter to carry than a battery pack for the phone.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 41
I started off as a dongle person. Now I have converted to DAPs. The connection between the iPhone and the dongle is the main problem. It's unreliable. DAPs feel more solid in your hand and the 4.4mm connector is solidly in place for me. That's just the ergonomics. Once you get a DAP, you have more flexibility in terms of what you can do with the sound. You can add external amps to really ramp up the quality like with a Cayin C9 or Woo Audio WA8. And, you can get varying degrees of quality sound with a DAP. There is no doubt that the most cost effective solution is the dongle. It's hard to beat an RU6 for value.
Is this still the case with the new iPhone?

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 41
I think dongles are more accessible: cheaper/more versatile, but ultimately a good DAP will be superior to a phone+dongle. I'm on dongle now, it's been good, but I'll eventually invest in the DAP.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 41
I was a DAP + local files guy for many years, i switched to streaming on my phone + dongle a year ago and i don't think i'll go back.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 41
I purely stream / use offline Tidal, and I’ve been struggling with this question of dongle vs DAP for the last month or so. I wouldn’t say that I’m extremely confident, but I’ve come to rest on preferring a DAP. Primarily, that’s due to, in order: (1) I find the form-factor of having something dangling to be unpleasant, (2) there’s something nice about having a dedicated unit / less distraction, and (3) perceived sound quality. I say perceived sound quality because I definitely hear differences, but it’s hard to call it definitively better vs preference (diminishing returns right?).

The question I’ve been trying to figure out is where a dongle should “rank” sound quality-wise vs a DAP. Should a $200 dongle compete with a $1000 DAP? seems like that’s roughly “mid-tier” for both. If so, is the issue that a really “premium” dongle just doesn’t exist to compete with the +$2000 DAPs?

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #27 of 41
I find the form-factor of having something dangling to be unpleasant [...] the issue that a really “premium” dongle just doesn’t exist to compete with the +$2000 DAPs?
If you don't like dangling stuff there's the ddHifI TC44Pro :)
Regarding the premium dongles, the iBasso DC Elite is supposed to be close to a DX320.

20240116_105132_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #28 of 41
No to dongles for me...Ive owned.a few, but I dont want stress on the usb c port or having to worry about the dongle slapping back and forth while in transit while connected to my cans or IEMs... ...

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #29 of 41
No to dongles for me...Ive owned.a few, but I dont want stress on the usb c port or having to worry about the dongle slapping back and forth while in transit while connected to my cans or IEMs... ...
My thoughts exactly.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #30 of 41
If you don't like dangling stuff there's the ddHifI TC44Pro :)
Regarding the premium dongles, the iBasso DC Elite is supposed to be close to a DX320.

20240116_105132_.jpg

I also have a Flip 5 and have been trying some tiny dacs like this for a minimal on the go setup. But with these style of dacs I sometimes get all kinds of noise, interference, track skipping and volume changing, etc. I've recently tried the ddHiFi tc35c and Audirect Atom 3, and both had these issues, especially if I was using them while wearing a coat or using a blanket or what have you. The Fiio KA11(link to my first impressions) has basically been perfect for that role so far, although it's a different form factor. It's great.

Yes, that is really not convenient. I was debating going for the iBasso DC Elite, but it's on the bigger side and might be a bit unwieldy when mobile.

The Hiby FC6 is quite good though about not getting in the way, or being all that noticeable of a physical addition to your setup. It's the only "serious audiophile" dongle I've tried that I can just treat it like it's a part of the cable. And it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back