Dongles vs DAPs (What do you prefer?)
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
Been out of the loop for a bit but seems like dobgles have been getting really popular lately. Do you personally prefer the dongles and how do they compare to the DAPS performance wise in general strictly with just IEMs?

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 41
I had always preferred dongles, I figured a high-end phone + a good dongle would equal a good DAP. Nope. Recently bought an M11 Pro and it walks on my iPhone + BTR5, Qudelix 5K, iDSD Nano Black, Teac HA-P50, or FiiO Q5 combo.
I don’t know if it’s just that it’s specifically tuned for audio or what but the sound quality this DAP puts out is considerably more refined than any of the above amps.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 41
I use DAPs and the Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth, I find the dongles very uncomfortable with my phone personally.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 41
I started off as a dongle person. Now I have converted to DAPs. The connection between the iPhone and the dongle is the main problem. It's unreliable. DAPs feel more solid in your hand and the 4.4mm connector is solidly in place for me. That's just the ergonomics. Once you get a DAP, you have more flexibility in terms of what you can do with the sound. You can add external amps to really ramp up the quality like with a Cayin C9 or Woo Audio WA8. And, you can get varying degrees of quality sound with a DAP. There is no doubt that the most cost effective solution is the dongle. It's hard to beat an RU6 for value.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 41
When a dap use as digital transport to a dongle, output sq is better than use a phone alternatively.
That's unfair if compare a dap to a dongle, assume we use with a phone.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 41
I had always preferred dongles, I figured a high-end phone + a good dongle would equal a good DAP. Nope. Recently bought an M11 Pro and it walks on my iPhone + BTR5, Qudelix 5K, iDSD Nano Black, Teac HA-P50, or FiiO Q5 combo.
I don’t know if it’s just that it’s specifically tuned for audio or what but the sound quality this DAP puts out is considerably more refined than any of the above amps.

Are you talking BTR5 wired connection and balanced cable? I had the Fiio M11 and with my IEM's (SE846, K10U, FD7) I prefer the BTR5 over the M11 I had. I just have the BTR5 now but do have the new Sony 1AM2 on pre-order.

The BTR5 isn't anything special on its 3.5mm but it is via balanced IMO. Sold my ZX507 too. I use it wired at home and BT LDAC Best when out & about, fed from my S10+ with 1TB storage.

My BTR5 wired using UAPP with my S10+ via balanced cable sounds amazing, especially considering the price. I've previously had Dragonfly Red/Cobalt and Mojo too (even a Hugo 2 for 2 weeks but that's best for headphones IMO and I'm not into headphones).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 41
Are you talking BTR5 wired connection and balanced cable? I had the Fiio M11 and with my IEM's (SE846, K10U, FD7) I prefer the BTR5 over the M11 I had. I just have the BTR5 now but do have the new Sony 1AM2 on pre-order.

The BTR5 isn't anything special on its 3.5mm but it is via balanced IMO. Sold my ZX507 too. I use it wired at home and BT LDAC Best when out & about, fed from my S10+ with 1TB storage.

My BTR5 wired using UAPP with my S10+ via balanced cable sounds amazing, especially considering the price. I've previously had Dragonfly Red/Cobalt and Mojo too (even a Hugo 2 for 2 weeks but that's best for headphones IMO and I'm not into headphones).

All were wired to the phone and using balanced connections. I think for me it comes down to the ESS vs AKM DACs. Everything I've had with ESS chips has a sharp edge to it I find. The AKM4497 in the M11 Pro is softer and more analog sounding. That quality extends to the iDSD Nano BL too but perhaps a bit too much with that.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 41
All were wired to the phone and using balanced connections. I think for me it comes down to the ESS vs AKM DACs. Everything I've had with ESS chips has a sharp edge to it I find. The AKM4497 in the M11 Pro is softer and more analog sounding. That quality extends to the iDSD Nano BL too but perhaps a bit too much with that.
Maybe, I like ESS DAC's but also like Sony DAP's too. Will depend on synergy with IEM/Headphone your using too.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 41
Thanks @F208Frank.. I've been thinking about this for the past few days. I am using my Note 20 Ultra> UAPP> Qudelix 5k > Thieaudio Monarch IEMs. I am really enjoying this combo... But curious minds really most now.

My main rig is in my signature... I have been spoiled in the audio world with Abyss and Raal headphones. So sound quality is easily identifiable. How much more resolution, soundstage, and imaging will I get if I use a say a ibasso dx300 with my IEMs?

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 41
Thanks @F208Frank.. I've been thinking about this for the past few days. I am using my Note 20 Ultra> UAPP> Qudelix 5k > Thieaudio Monarch IEMs. I am really enjoying this combo... But curious minds really most now.

My main rig is in my signature... I have been spoiled in the audio world with Abyss and Raal headphones. So sound quality is easily identifiable. How much more resolution, soundstage, and imaging will I get if I use a say a ibasso dx300 with my IEMs?
DX300 will be way better than Qudelix (2 x ES9218P) for perceived technicalities (staging, imaging, details)… Also the sound signature of the DAP will likely have an impact on synergy with your IEMs and headphones. DX300 is not dead neutral, there is some amount organic warmth that would work anything that is not bloated. Some people do have preference for dead neutral (which can end up boring for others).

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 41
My key issue with dongles is that they typically have ESS DACs. Those are a bit bright for my taste. AKM is slated to release new chips soon and get back into the market. So I will look at DAP units in a few months when those designs are out.

My favorite music services like Amazon Music HD and Apple Music are way better on the iphone than on android. So when my two current DAP units die I might replace them with one unit, but not two. Thus, I will focus on dongles even more.

One factor in my case is the new cars often don't have an auxiliary jack anymore, so you have to use Apple CarPlay (or the Android equivalent). I know of very few DAP units that support Android Auto. That throws me into the Apple camp.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 41
What about using a DAP with a dongle though 😂 now that’s a question

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 41
My key issue with dongles is that they typically have ESS DACs. Those are a bit bright for my taste. AKM is slated to release new chips soon and get back into the market. So I will look at DAP units in a few months when those designs are out.

My favorite music services like Amazon Music HD and Apple Music are way better on the iphone than on android. So when my two current DAP units die I might replace them with one unit, but not two. Thus, I will focus on dongles even more.

One factor in my case is the new cars often don't have an auxiliary jack anymore, so you have to use Apple CarPlay (or the Android equivalent). I know of very few DAP units that support Android Auto. That throws me into the Apple camp.

What’s the issue with Amazon Music on Android?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back