Dongle, Desktop DAC/AMP or keep using Apple dongle?
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 31
Thanks. I almost bought the DC03 pro but by the time I went place the order on Amazon a few days ago it wasn't in stock anymore. Now the DC05 is in stock at the same price. Maybe the DC04 pro replace the DC03 pro and the DC05 will be the cheaper option...

Can the DC05 be use with the iBasso app that has the 5 filters?
Actually it’s up on the official site. You can check all the details here.
https://ibasso.com/product/dc04pro/

1677231452039.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 31
Afaik the DC05 and DC06 only have volume control via the app, no filter or other settings like the DC04 pro.
Let me check if the new app also works with the DC06 and I’ll get back to you.

Update: DC06 only has volume control via the app and this only works when connected to that device. When connected to the PC, its always at full volume.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 31
Afaik the DC05 and DC06 only have volume control via the app, no filter or other settings like the DC04 pro.
Let me check if the new app also works with the DC06 and I’ll get back to you.

Update: DC06 only has volume control via the app and this only works when connected to that device. When connected to the PC, its always at full volume
Thanks 👍

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 31
Sonic differences, no.

I compared the Apple Dongle against an ifI Go Bar, Gryphon, Diablo and a Chord Mojo and with IEM where the power output isn't an issue I certainly didn't hear any really obvious difference and certainly nothing that would come close to justifying the around 50 - 100 times price difference !

EDITED TO ADD: IEMs were Shanling ME700 and MG600, Letshuoer S12 planar and Dethonray Tender 1 planar.

In fact, using the Tender 1 which are a very power hungry planar IEM I was comparing the Apple Dongle to an ifI Diablo while working from my home office. I got disturbed by some work stuff and after a few emails etc to sort things out I thought about the music I was listening to in the meantime. I thought to myself that the Diablo sounded great only to look down and see I was plugged into the Apple Dongle !

I have been told that there are simply some people that physiologically don't hear the differences that DACs and Amps can make but I figure if I can't tell the difference between a $10 Apple Dongle and a $1,000 Diablo the differences that others might hear have to be subtle and a long way from the dramatic differences that some would suggest.

I look at it like this. The Apple Dongle is a cheap little accessory so it is looked down on by many. BUT, it has been made in the millions, so the development costs are a negligible part of the price and it was developed by the engineers of one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Why would Apple not be able to put together a nice clean sounding, good performing little DAC ? They have massive resources, a huge pool of highly skilled technical people and would have a massive budgetary and resourcing advantage over any audio specific company in existence. Why wouldn't it be decent ?
Did you ever compare DACs using a high quality speaker set-up?

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #20 of 31
Did you ever compare DACs using a high quality speaker set-up?

No, I don’t have a high quality speaker set up. My wife isn’t interested so I would hardly get any listening time and I tend to listen somewhat loud so the neighbours would not be very happy either. Thus the Head Fi stuff for me.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 31
No, I don’t have a high quality speaker set up. My wife isn’t interested so I would hardly get any listening time and I tend to listen somewhat loud so the neighbours would not be very happy either. Thus the Head Fi stuff for me.

Loud listening is a bad habit. Louder doesn't mean you hear better, it's quite opposite actually as your brain can't focus into actual listening on high volumes.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 31
Loud listening is a bad habit. Louder doesn't mean you hear better, it's quite opposite actually as your brain can't focus into actual listening on high volumes.

PARDON :ear:

I enjoy the music more when listening loud and I listen to music to enjoy it not to dissect it. I am a not a sound engineer or an “audiophile”, I just like music that sounds good and to me louder typically sounds better.

I don’t always listen at stupid high volume and I don’t detect any change in my hearing over time so I don’t believe I am doing any harm.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 31
Hello here! I’m new both to the forum as well as to this audio addiction as i like to call it, and i was thinking if i should but a dongle dac or maybe a desktop amp, i actually use a FIIO BTR3 plugged as a usb dac connected to a behringer mixer to “boost the sound” and when i go out i use my lightning to 3.5 dongle, the headphones i own are, KZ ZSN PRO X, AKG K450, marley voyager bt, PHILIPS SHP9500 and sole ONE MORE TRIPLE DRIVER HEADPHONE, I’ve bought every one of them except the one more’s second hand because of low budget, so my question is, should i buy a dongle dac?, maybe save for a desktop amp? Or maybe get a dap? (Been looking at a fiio x1 that’s selling second hand for 30 dollars)

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 31
The headphones or IEMs are the most important part of the chain. The FiiO sounds like a bargain, so why not. But you'll get far more improvement if you save up and look for headphones or IEMs in the $90-$150 range. Better to have one serious pair (or two) than a bunch of budget models.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 31
The headphones or IEMs are the most important part of the chain. The FiiO sounds like a bargain, so why not. But you'll get far more improvement if you save up and look for headphones or IEMs in the $90-$150 range. Better to have one serious pair (or two) than a bunch of budget models.
Nope, the media followed by the source is most important.

Case in point, the Apple dongle (USB C) has a slight harshness to it that can never be fixed by using better headphones.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 31
Nope, the media followed by the source is most important.

Case in point, the Apple dongle (USB C) has a slight harshness to it that can never be fixed by using better headphones.
This is complete nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back