Dongle, Desktop DAC/AMP or keep using Apple dongle?
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

New Head-Fier
Hi, this my first post. Not sure if I’m posting in the place…

I need help deciding whether to get a dual DAC dongle or a Desktop DAC/AMP or keep using the Apple dongle.

The Iem/Headphones I currently use most: CCA CRA, Truthear Hola, TRN ST5, T3+, Moondrop Stellaris (I know many people hate it but I really enjoy how it sounds EQed), HD599, SHP9500 and JBL 32ohms wireless headphones that I use wired.

I already have a Beringher and Zoom usb audio sound cards. They don’t seem to match the Iem/headphones well, producing less detailed sound and boosted bass when compared to the Apple dongle.

What I’m hoping to get is a cleaner sound out of the HD599. I have read in several places that the HD599 and Planar IEM sound better with some extra amplification. I know there are many people who think that there’s not much difference between amps/dongles but I can hear a clear difference. What I’m not sure about is whether getting a Hiby FC4 or Fosi DS1 will improve sound reproduction significantly and will not have a chance to try them before ordering.

The budget is us$100+/-. I mostly listen to music using an android phone with USB Audio Pro App, but am willing to consider a desktop DAC/AMP if there’s an option that is clearly better than the dongle DACs within bugget.

Alternatively could just save the money to get a new IEM down the line…

Anybody knows how many mW are needed to properly drive the HD599 and Stellaris?

Also, Andy Dongle Vault reviewed the Ibasso DC3 pro. That one seems interesting because it comes with 5 filters. Are there any apps with those kinds of filters?

Advice?

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 31
I have the HiBy FC4--it works well now but I initially had Tidal playback problems where the tempo was either faster or slower than the actual recording.

Aside from that, the FC4 was able to drive the HD800S to moderately loud volume out of the 4.4.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 31

I need help deciding whether to get a dual DAC dongle or a Desktop DAC/AMP or keep using the Apple dongle.

The Iem/Headphones I currently use most: CCA CRA, Truthear Hola, TRN ST5, T3+, Moondrop Stellaris (I know many people hate it but I really enjoy how it sounds EQed), HD599, SHP9500 and JBL 32ohms wireless headphones that I use wired.

I already have a Beringher and Zoom usb audio sound cards. They don’t seem to match the Iem/headphones well, producing less detailed sound and boosted bass when compared to the Apple dongle.

What I’m hoping to get is a cleaner sound out of the HD599. I have read in several places that the HD599 and Planar IEM sound better with some extra amplification. I know there are many people who think that there’s not much difference between amps/dongles but I can hear a clear difference. What I’m not sure about is whether getting a Hiby FC4 or Fosi DS1 will improve sound reproduction significantly and will not have a chance to try them before ordering.

The budget is us$100+/-. I mostly listen to music using an android phone with USB Audio Pro App, but am willing to consider a desktop DAC/AMP if there’s an option that is clearly better than the dongle DACs within bugget.

Alternatively could just save the money to get a new IEM down the line…

Anybody knows how many mW are needed to properly drive the HD599 and Stellaris?

Also, Andy Dongle Vault reviewed the Ibasso DC3 pro. That one seems interesting because it comes with 5 filters. Are there any apps with those kinds of filters?

Advice?
I don't have any 300ohms headphones yet. The HD599 is 50ohms, I think. The FC4 should drive it well then.
Does the Hiby FC4 scales the sound of your S12 or provides better sound reproduction with the S12 compared to cheap dongles? Or just more power?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 31

You will find folks that say the Apple Dongle is absolute rubbish and others that say it is a very clean DAC and far outperforms its price if the output voltage/power is sufficient for your IEM or headphones.

I am in the latter camp. To my ear it compares very well to much more expensive gear, I mean the Lightning one, I believe there is a Europe market USB-C one that is volume limited and woefully underpowered.

I got mine free with an iPhone years ago and have never used it until recently. I compared it to some gear that cost more than the phone that the dongle came with and, within power limits, I struggled to hear any difference.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 31
If you want detailed reference like sound, you can’t go wrong with the iBasso DACs. I have the DC06. Only complaint is lack of volume buttons.

By the way there is a new DC04 pro that has just been released (only in some places and not on the official site yet). It’s same as the DC03 pro with the addition of a 4.4mm balanced connection.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 31
You will find folks that say the Apple Dongle is absolute rubbish and others that say it is a very clean DAC and far outperforms its price if the output voltage/power is sufficient for your IEM or headphones.

I am in the latter camp. To my ear it compares very well to much more expensive gear, I mean the Lightning one, I believe there is a Europe market USB-C one that is volume limited and woefully underpowered.

I got mine free with an iPhone years ago and have never used it until recently. I compared it to some gear that cost more than the phone that the dongle came with and, within power limits, I struggled to hear any difference.

I use the US usbc version and with the Usb Audio Pro App it has decent output.

So, you don't notice any sonic differences between the Apple dongle and the more expensive DACs?

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 31
If you want detailed reference like sound, you can’t go wrong with the iBasso DACs. I have the DC06. Only complaint is lack of volume buttons.

By the way there is a new DC04 pro that has just been released (only in some places and not on the official site yet). It’s same as the DC03 pro with the addition of a 4.4mm balanced connection.
Thanks. I almost bought the DC03 pro but by the time I went place the order on Amazon a few days ago it wasn't in stock anymore. Now the DC05 is in stock at the same price. Maybe the DC04 pro replace the DC03 pro and the DC05 will be the cheaper option...

Can the DC05 be use with the iBasso app that has the 5 filters?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 31
I don't have any 300ohms headphones yet. The HD599 is 50ohms, I think. The FC4 should drive it well then.
Does the Hiby FC4 scales the sound of your S12 or provides better sound reproduction with the S12 compared to cheap dongles? Or just more power?

Thanks.
I don't have a cheaper dongle but compared with my LG V60, the HiBy is cleaner. But the power difference is what's more noticeable.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 31
I don't have a cheaper dongle but compared with my LG V60, the HiBy is cleaner. But the power difference is what's more noticeable.
Thanks.

Back to square one. If what you notice is the extra power and I don't have any hard to drive IEM/headphones... I have no idea whether the dual dac is worth getting or not...

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 31
Thanks.

Back to square one. If what you notice is the extra power and I don't have any hard to drive IEM/headphones... I have no idea whether the dual dac is worth getting or not...
It is possible that with better iems, the difference would be more noticeable. But I can't say from experience.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 31
I use the US usbc version and with the Usb Audio Pro App it has decent output.

So, you don't notice any sonic differences between the Apple dongle and the more expensive DACs?

Sonic differences, no.

I compared the Apple Dongle against an ifI Go Bar, Gryphon, Diablo and a Chord Mojo and with IEM where the power output isn't an issue I certainly didn't hear any really obvious difference and certainly nothing that would come close to justifying the around 50 - 100 times price difference !

EDITED TO ADD: IEMs were Shanling ME700 and MG600, Letshuoer S12 planar and Dethonray Tender 1 planar.

In fact, using the Tender 1 which are a very power hungry planar IEM I was comparing the Apple Dongle to an ifI Diablo while working from my home office. I got disturbed by some work stuff and after a few emails etc to sort things out I thought about the music I was listening to in the meantime. I thought to myself that the Diablo sounded great only to look down and see I was plugged into the Apple Dongle !

I have been told that there are simply some people that physiologically don't hear the differences that DACs and Amps can make but I figure if I can't tell the difference between a $10 Apple Dongle and a $1,000 Diablo the differences that others might hear have to be subtle and a long way from the dramatic differences that some would suggest.

I look at it like this. The Apple Dongle is a cheap little accessory so it is looked down on by many. BUT, it has been made in the millions, so the development costs are a negligible part of the price and it was developed by the engineers of one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Why would Apple not be able to put together a nice clean sounding, good performing little DAC ? They have massive resources, a huge pool of highly skilled technical people and would have a massive budgetary and resourcing advantage over any audio specific company in existence. Why wouldn't it be decent ?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 31
Sonic differences, no.

I compared the Apple Dongle against an ifI Go Bar, Gryphon, Diablo and a Chord Mojo and with IEM where the power output isn't an issue I certainly didn't hear any really obvious difference and certainly nothing that would come close to justifying the around 50 - 100 times price difference !

EDITED TO ADD: IEMs were Shanling ME700 and MG600, Letshuoer S12 planar and Dethonray Tender 1 planar.

In fact, using the Tender 1 which are a very power hungry planar IEM I was comparing the Apple Dongle to an ifI Diablo while working from my home office. I got disturbed by some work stuff and after a few emails etc to sort things out I thought about the music I was listening to in the meantime. I thought to myself that the Diablo sounded great only to look down and see I was plugged into the Apple Dongle !

I have been told that there are simply some people that physiologically don't hear the differences that DACs and Amps can make but I figure if I can't tell the difference between a $10 Apple Dongle and a $1,000 Diablo the differences that others might hear have to be subtle and a long way from the dramatic differences that some would suggest.

I look at it like this. The Apple Dongle is a cheap little accessory so it is looked down on by many. BUT, it has been made in the millions, so the development costs are a negligible part of the price and it was developed by the engineers of one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Why would Apple not be able to put together a nice clean sounding, good performing little DAC ? They have massive resources, a huge pool of highly skilled technical people and would have a massive budgetary and resourcing advantage over any audio specific company in existence. Why wouldn't it be decent ?

Thanks.

I fully get your logic. Is the reason I would have liked to have a change to try them before buying and why I’m considering something that would offer something different like a desktop amp or battery power BT dac. When I’m on the go outside noise also diminished audio quality which is why I mostly use the cheap IEM when I go out.
I also have experience forgetting/mistaking which DAC/Iem I was using. :) After listening to the Stellaris the rest of the Iems sound dull, but If I pick the T3+ or Hola to go exercise I really enjoy them.

On the other hand I have a chinese no name dongle that also sounds nice, but sounds quite different from the Apple dongle. The sound is more round with a mid bass boost, not as detailed and more closed in. I thought maybe a Dual dac would offer some of the roundness of the no name dac and keep the detail and stage of the Apple dongle.

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 31
Thanks.

I fully get your logic. Is the reason I would have liked to have a change to try them before buying and why I’m considering something that would offer something different like a desktop amp or battery power BT dac. When I’m on the go outside noise also diminished audio quality which is why I mostly use the cheap IEM when I go out.
I also have experience forgetting/mistaking which DAC/Iem I was using. :) After listening to the Stellaris the rest of the Iems sound dull, but If I pick the T3+ or Hola to go exercise I really enjoy them.

On the other hand I have a chinese no name dongle that also sounds nice, but sounds quite different from the Apple dongle. The sound is more round with a mid bass boost, not as detailed and more closed in. I thought maybe a Dual dac would offer some of the roundness of the no name dac and keep the detail and stage of the Apple dongle.

Thanks

No problem.

The no name dongle probably sounds different because it is technically inferior to the Apple dongle. What I compared it with were good gear so they compared well even if I didn't notice any superiority.

You will get a lot of comments about variations in sound with the dongles, it isn't very fashionable to say that you can't tell any difference !! :wink:

A bit of research might help and testing at a store if you can.

There is a Face Book page called Chifi Audio Reviews with quite a big membership and they pretty much talk about nothing else but the general type of IEM you have and dongle DACs. You might ask there if you haven't already.

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 31
No problem.

The no name dongle probably sounds different because it is technically inferior to the Apple dongle. What I compared it with were good gear so they compared well even if I didn't notice any superiority.

You will get a lot of comments about variations in sound with the dongles, it isn't very fashionable to say that you can't tell any difference !! :wink:

A bit of research might help and testing at a store if you can.

There is a Face Book page called Chifi Audio Reviews with quite a big membership and they pretty much talk about nothing else but the general type of IEM you have and dongle DACs. You might ask there if you haven't already.
The no name DAC supposedly has a realtek chip. Is not as good as the Apple dongle but is not that far off, the tone/timbre is rather nice, is the close-in sound stage is what bothers me with some types of music. So, while I can hear clear differences, I get that what is “better” is subjective.

Maybe you are right and the difference between the Apple and the high priced DACs is smaller…

I will research to find an option that offers some other benefits besides more power…

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back