Donate your CPU time to help find cure for cancer
Aug 13, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 37
What does online speed tests have to do with this?
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 37
Nothing at all bootman

Apart from the transferring of completed data / retrieval of data to be 'sorted' there is no use of your online connection
confused.gif

Soupy... you say that 100% CPU time is used... mine only goes to 50... is there a user setting that I haven't found, to speed it up? (go nearer to the 100%)?

Thanks

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 37
I don't see a problem with it personally...

...I'm not sure if there are any forum formalities.. i'll send Jude a message, to see what he thinks...

...I guess the final word though is with Luvya, it was Luvya that highlighted the software / cause, and has his (sorry if i'm presuming the wrong gender here) own team...

If Luvya can reply here... and i'll try and confirm with Jude
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 37
Of course! if there are enough members here to make a team, by all means, DO IT! I will be more than happy to see that happen
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason I gave link to the team I am in (sorry, it's not my team) is because I consider myself to be the advocate on that team, it also provides a place for the individual lost souls, those who wants to do the project but doesn't like to be on their own.

Aug 14, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 37
Just curious...

(and this may well highlight the fact I know nothing about medicine / illness) but i'm on my third 'workload' now, and each one of the three have been something to do with smallpox...

I thought we were doing this for cancer?

Also, how do people complete their 'workloads' in 10 hours? - Mine is currently sitting at 20 hours per workload, yet my CPU is only 50% used... I can't see any way to up it to 100% - is it something stupid that i'm missing here? - why is mine twice as slow as the best out there?

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 37
Hi Luvya

stuff like that can be quite a shock..all the best to your cousin..I hope that she and your family can pull through this crisis

Duncan,

once I joined the team, I was stuck doing smallpox research as well.....it does that by default...I finally figured out how to change it, though.....you have to go to the preferences tab in the lower right hand corner of the UD program, click on 'modify device profile', login, go to the profiles tab, click on a profile name [usually default]....at the bottom of the next screen, there will be two check boxes...one for cancer research, the other for smallpox...uncheck the smallpox project, and the UD program will start on the cancer research after it completes the current project....

hope that helps....took me a while to find out how to do that....

Aug 16, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 37
Looks like the doctor has already given up hope on my cousin
frown.gif

She stopped taking chemo-therapy now, and basically just waiting for her condition to get worse and worse until god makes the call
frown.gif

This sucks!
I hate how asian culture works, my parents don't update me until they have to!

Aug 19, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 37
Sorry to bump an old thread. I just want to thank those who have joined in in the battle against cancer! You guys really made a difference!

If you want to check out the stats of different teams, just click on the link below. That should give you an idea of where the teams are. The fatwallet is currently around 30th largest team in the world, and we are still trying to pass some of the team ahead.
Keep crunching
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.grid.org/stats/teams/

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 37
hey, sorry to hear about your situation.
i joined the team. the cancer units take a lot longer than the small pox ones. i did the smallpox in like 10 hours. at the rate i am going for cancer, its going to be something like 12-15 hours.

Aug 20, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #28 of 37
Are you chase bunger in the team? I can't seem to find "chase" in the team's page, so I guess that is you, right?

Btw, yeah...Cancer is a lot harder to do. I've arleady spent 25 hours on the current ligand, and it's only 84% done!

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #30 of 37
Sorry about your bad news.

The UD cancer research is a great project! Been doing it for 18 months with several home computers. As others have said it only uses spare CPU capability so users are not effected. If you want a relatively painless way to make a contribution, this project is it! Don't hesitate thinking your computer or connection are too slow to help.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back