Donate your CPU time to help find cure for cancer
Aug 12, 2003 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
Just hear the news that one of my closest relatives is seriously ill because of breast cancer
frown.gif
Doctor says she only has another 6 months to live
frown.gif
Very devastating news....I am sure some of you share my experience as well. I just found out this cancer project by the univeristy of Oxford...basically just install the program and the computer will do the rest. I know this is probably too late for my cousin, but it will help in the future I am sure.

Join us in the battle to find a cure for cancer.

It's really easy, first go to this site,
http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

and when you're done there, go to this site.
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...5-945DE1976087

Now, whether you want to join the team is your choice, as long as you have the program run in your computer you will be doing the good deeds. But if it doesn't incovenient you, please join the team.

Btw, don't worry about the program slowing down your PC, it doesn't! I don't know why and I can't explain it, but it doesn't slow down your PC. Try and see for yourself.

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 37
just make sure you guys got enough cooling on your comps...you'll be running at full load 100% cpu all the time unless you cap it. It's exactly like folding
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 37
frown.gif
i'll say prayer for her and run the program. fwiw, i just submitted a paper for peer review in the journal of immunology after doing research for 2 years studying the long term effects of cancer vaccines. there's a lot more research to be done i know but hopefully we'll get to a real cure soon.

best wishes and positive energy to you and your family.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 37
No, soupy...don't give people false assumption. Like I said, it doesn't slow down your computer. NOT EVEN ONE BIT! That's what's nice about this program.

56ker? Definitely do it! I am on 56k also....so I can speak from experience, the program is just so transparent...you won't even feel a thing at all.

Again, you can try and hopefully join the team I am in, you can always delete it if you don't like, which I seriously doubt you would.

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 37
Hi Luvya...

Sorry to hear about your relative
frown.gif

I've installed the program, and set myself up as a member of your team.

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

No, soupy...don't give people false assumption. Like I said, it doesn't slow down your computer. NOT EVEN ONE BIT! That's what's nice about this program.

That's how folding works. I never said it slowed down your computer one bit, it just utilizes your unused cpu cycles. Generally when you comp is idle it's only using only 2-3% of it's cycles, leaving a whole 97% wasted. Distributed networking projects like this just makes use of it. Go into task manager and check out the performance tab (win xp/2k). It's running at 100% right? I was just tell ppl with badly cooled computers that running it rull time will put alot of stress on your comp and might lead to instability. Properly cooled computers would do this just fine as the program allocates the cycles for whatever you do on your comp to make sure it doesn't slow you down. I completely support programs such as these and run at times. Sorry about your relative, my grandmother was a victim of stomach cancer and my mother right now is showing signs of early breast cancer as well. Hope these folding projects can accelerate and get some results quick.

edit: and i just put it on my work computer. we should get a head-fi team...there's plenty of ppl from fatwallet.com already
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
Just hear the news that one of my closest relatives is seriously ill because of breast cancer
frown.gif
Doctor says she only has another 6 months to live
frown.gif
Very devastating news....I am sure some of you share my experience as well. I just found out this cancer project by the univeristy of Oxford...basically just install the program and the computer will do the rest. I know this is probably too late for my cousin, but it will help in the future I am sure.

Join us in the battle to find a cure for cancer.

Luvya, sorry to hear this. I am also suffering from stage III nasopharyngeal cancer as well. I am going through radiation therapy right now. It's tough but do-able. Just remember cancer != death nowadays. The attitude of the patient has a lot to do with the result of the treatment, keep up the spirit. Cancer patient needs a lot of support, that's how you can help your relative. My thoughts are with you!!

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 37
I think a few of you actually choose to join the team I am in! Which is great!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can never thank you enough.

Mkyy, my cousin is going through chemo-therapy now also, I am glad to see you are holding up this well! Gives me hope for my cousin
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 37
My heart goes out to you, and your family, Luvya.

And you too, Mkyy.

A very close friend has just survived breast cancer.
Count me in, on your team.

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by soupy
edit: and i just put it on my work computer. we should get a head-fi team...there's plenty of ppl from fatwallet.com already
wink.gif

I'm for a head-fi team.

Shall we form one?
I think we need Jude's permission.
confused.gif

We can then link to the head-fi home page.

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 37
I've seen this before. It's supposed to be pretty successfull! I have a huge heat sink on my P4 2.1 ghz where the fan is actually in the side of my case and there's a tube-thing going from the heat sink to the fan. The actual heat sink doesn't have a fan, but it's big. I also have cable, which helps.

Go here to test your speed:
http://nyc.speakeasy.net/

and try to beat mine!!
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests...net/1060739998

I'm really sorry, it's deathly slow tonight. On good nights it's around 6000 kbps. The dude barrier is 5000 kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back