Dolby Headphone solution for Non-Wireless Headphones?
Nov 8, 2004 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

LINKUZZZ

Head-Fier
It has been over two months now that I have been researching different surround sound headphone solutions, and have come to this conclusion:

Non-Wireless Headphones(A500/A900/HD580/etc) + Multi Format Decoder With Dolby Headphone Processor = My Perfect Fit

Here is my price range:
Headphone $300
Dolby Headphone processor product $300
Sound Card $300
Total $900 more or less

The main reason I need Dolby Headphone is for surround sound pc/console gaming. Movies are not a problem as I can use PowerDVD/WinDVD and others with Dolby Headphone support. Music is the main reason I want a Non-Wireless solution. Otherwise I would have got the 3 Wireless Pioneer models being sold at Audio Cubes. Pioneer's SE-DIR series seems to be the only Dolby Headphone product Dolby uses at press shows.

This T510 Dolby® Digital 5.1 Decoder + Dolby Headphone seems to be an option. Add a good Headphone and scrap the one that comes with the unit, and add a good sound card that can decode/process the other surround formats and I'm set.

What do u guys think? What do u think of Dolby Headphone in general? Is there anything else that does surround sound headphone better?

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 62
There is also the AKG option with it's Hearo line.
Jude, I believe, is testing the Hearo 999.
The amp alone goes for about $430 US and can be used with wired phones.
It it better than DH?
I don't know, I havent done a head to head.

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 62
From what I have read of the Hearo 999, they are crap. I also did use the search feature before I wrote this topic post. Still I'd like to know what Jude thinks of this model. How long has he been testing it for?

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 62
Perhaps you'll be interested in this item: Yamaha DP-U50

I'm planning to get it soon to help with extreme stereo recordings. It has digital in and out, can be used with either a PC or dedicated souce and is currently on discount at ~$150 or less. It is supposedly using the same chip found in its higher end integrated amps.

Perhaps its downfall is it does not have dolby headphone and doesn't have multiple variations of HRTF to customise to the person's head like the Hearo 999 does.

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 62
Philips HP1500, maybe?
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Philips HP1500, maybe?
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sure! but who sells them?
confused.gif

I can't seem to find US dealers that carry them.

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 62
It seems the T510 Dolby Headphone has come out, but from another company other than Thrustmaster

The other Company is called HCT Technology and there is already a review of the Headphone at OCMODSHOP.com with pics HCT Technolgy also has the specs for a Wireless model of this Dolby Headphone up on the main page

I'm going to have to e-mail them for more info on the product. I'm also looking into the other products u guys listed.

Nov 10, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
Perhaps you'll be interested in this item: Yamaha DP-U50

I'm planning to get it soon to help with extreme stereo recordings. It has digital in and out, can be used with either a PC or dedicated souce and is currently on discount at ~$150 or less. It is supposedly using the same chip found in its higher end integrated amps.

Perhaps its downfall is it does not have dolby headphone and doesn't have multiple variations of HRTF to customise to the person's head like the Hearo 999 does.

Can anyone verify that the "Silent Cinema" (Yamaha's version of Dolby Headphone, I assume) processing of the DP-U50 is available over the digital output, or is it only available from the built-in headphone jack? The audio chain I'd like to use is: DVD player -> Dolby Digital 5.1 -> U50 w/ Silent Cinema processing ON -> stereo DAC -> headphone amp -> headphones.

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 62
That's a good point that I overlooked. I guess I'll have to look for some sort of instruction manual. I've my examinations in a few days so I'll be doing more research after. Sorry I can't help within the next two weeks. Perhaps you could drop Yamaha an e-mail?

Like you, I really need that digital in/out for the unit to be placed between my source and equilizer. The Yamaha also supports 24/96 and Dolby 5.1 which I'm really impressed with. However, I think you should consider the likelihood that the U50 doesn't seem to have a lot of adjustable headphone settings. Perhaps this can be only done via the supplied cpu software. It's important since not everyone's optimal HRTF curves are the same.

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 62
I found a really good review of the HP 1500 at HeadWize Forums

There is also a nice set of HP 1500 pictures Here

Based on this review, it looks like I might buy this unit. The only place I found it at was ProMarkt for 249EUR, which is pretty good. Comes out to about 322USD and 385CAD. Still can't buy this because the site isn't english, unless someone here can help me?

What do u guys think?

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINKUZZZ
What do u guys think?

I think you shouldn't rush it, as Philips has confirmed me that they have problems with noisy automatic headband mechanisms on quite a few of the HP1000 phones, which are also included in the HP1500 systems. The product manager told me they were already working on a solution, though, and then wanted to send me another evaluation unit. So it might be wise not to bet on your luck before that, especially when the thingy is going to be shipped to America...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 62
So u are getting a review unit? When will u be getting them, and when will they be sold in the US? Do u have a link? I'm thinking these are my best option, so it would be nice to get some more info.

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINKUZZZ
So u are getting a review unit? When will u be getting them, and when will they be sold in the US? Do u have a link? I'm thinking these are my best option, so it would be nice to get some more info.

Yes, I'll get another evaluation unit, as soon as the noisy headband problem is solved - at least Philips promised that. I don't know when and whether the HP1500 system will be sold in the US at all, though. Link (in German - haven't found an English one): http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...CSHQNHKFSESI5P

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 62
If its going to take 6 months to fix, I'd rather buy it now. Any place I can buy it with english/french support? The headband noise seems like a small problem, unless the noise is still there once its on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back