Dolby headphone convincing?
Jan 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

123blackjack

New Head-Fier
Dolby headphone is part of my Nokia lumia 920 and also part of my Lenovo Laptop as Dolby home theater.

Do you actually like dolby headphone?
1) I always thought dsp will hamper listening experience. I always listen with no equalizers, no dolby virtual solutions,no beats just hear the music/movies that meant to be heard by the record producers.

2) But seeing dolby ads of home theater v4 (and nokia lumia) seems compelling.

3)Do dolby heaphone/virtual speaker/prologic etc create good listening experience? (i know dolby digital is a codec and i wouldnt argue against it)?

4)Do dolby heaphone/virtual speaker/prologic etc change the pitch tone of the sound to make it unnatural in addition to 3d spatializers that create a somewhat natural listening pleasure? (contrasting argument)

4) AFAIK Dolby headphone works best with 5.1/7.1 channel insput and it works just as a spatializer for stereo input just like the stero widening am i right? or does it create surround from stereo?

I have heard that combining prologic with Dolby headphone create complete surround for  stereo (Prologic converting stereo to 5.1 but doest it require the source to be prologic encoded ?

Also can we combine two DSPs togather like dolby prologic + dolby headphone . Will it create unnatural echo? How can it be done in my setup (i do not see i can use prologic + DH togather in my realtek drver setting)...

SO is dolby headphone good ? will it degrade my listening experience?

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Dolby headphone is part of my Nokia lumia 920 and also part of my Lenovo Laptop as Dolby home theater.

1) I always thought dsp will hamper listening experience. I always listen with no equalizers, no dolby virtual solutions,no beats just hear the music/movies that meant to be heard by the record producers.

3)Do dolby heaphone/virtual speaker/prologic etc create good listening experience? (i know dolby digital is a codec and i wouldnt argue against it)?

4)Do dolby heaphone/virtual speaker/prologic etc change the pitch tone of the sound to make it unnatural in addition to 3d spatializers that create a somewhat natural listening pleasure? (contrasting argument)

4) AFAIK Dolby headphone works best with 5.1/7.1 channel insput and it works just as a spatializer for stereo input just like the stero widening am i right? or does it create surround from stereo?

I have heard that combining prologic with Dolby headphone create complete surround for  stereo (Prologic converting stereo to 5.1 but doest it require the source to be prologic encoded ?

Also can we combine two DSPs togather like dolby prologic + dolby headphone . Will it create unnatural echo? How can it be done in my setup (i do not see i can use prologic + DH togather in my realtek drver setting)...

SO is dolby headphone good ? will it degrade my listening experience?

1) The vast majority of music isn't even mastered for headphone usage, let alone your headphones. You're already not hearing it how it was meant to be heard.

3) It depends...The only music I really listen to it with are songs with extreme panning. Meaning some stuff is playing on only one side. The crossfeed helps make this a fatigue free experience. I love it with gaming though.

4) It does change the sound in a significant manner. But it can be argued that it is actually more natural sounding.

4) It still simulates surround from stereo, as if you were playing that stereo track on a 5.1/7.1 system I believe. Not 100% sure on this. It definitely doesn't widen stereo sound, if anything it narrows it due to crossfeed.

I don't know much about prologic so I can't help you there.

Overall, just play it by ear. If you like it, there's no reason to not use it. If you don't, there's no reason you should.

One thing interesting about crossfeed DSP's like it is that for me it will sound unnatural when I forget that I have it on, and then switch it off. And vice versa. What sounds natural on a pair of headphone's is really a matter of what you're adjusted to.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 7
I stream to my Rotel set to Dolby PLIIx out to B&W speakers. It fills the room with sound- I dig it.
I know purists will stick with 2 channel. Two ch. is what I grew up on and I gave it a try and it just felt weak and thin.
Like I said- for me- the Dolby 5.1 is nice, lush and full. It's a more of an experience.
2 ch felt boring.

I also have a Pioneer Dolby surround headphone amp.
The same result.
I tried to listen to 2 channel through my Sennheiser 598's and it was what it was. decent 2 channel sound.
But skipping through the dolby surround pre-sets- Music really opens up the soundstage without any loss in quality.

It's up to you.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 7

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

5) AFAIK Dolby headphone works best with 5.1/7.1 channel insput and it works just as a spatializer for stereo input just like the stero widening am i right? or does it create surround from stereo?

6) Also can we combine two DSPs togather like dolby prologic + dolby headphone . Will it create unnatural echo? How can it be done in my setup (i do not see i can use prologic + DH togather in my realtek drver setting)...

7) SO is dolby headphone good ? will it degrade my listening experience?

1) Whether DSPs help or hinder the listening experience is for YOU to decide. In the context of music, though, it will unquestionably distort the original signal; whether it's a pleasing distortion or not is something you have to decide for yourself. (Note that some people do like a bit of euphonic distortion in their music.)

3) That depends on what you mean by a "good listening experience". Are you fine with the usual headphone presentation, or do you think it should sound more like stereo speakers in front of you?

4) By their nature, headphone surround mixing technologies tend to make things sound a bit different as a nature of the spatial processing. Might come across as a bit less "clear", for lack of better words. Dolby Headphone in particular also seems to reduce the treble just a bit and dial up the bass a bit.

5) DH naturally works best with 5.1/7.1 sources since the general point is to deliver that listening experience over headphones. With only stereo sources, you only get the experience of two speakers in front of you. Some people may actually find that pleasing for music, but most of us around here use DH as a means of getting a situational awareness advantage in games, for which a stereo source signal would be useless.

Note that a Dolby Pro Logic-encoded signal is NOT strict stereo, and as such a proper decoder can retrieve the extra channels and use that for a Dolby Headphone mix. It's naturally not as good as a discrete channel mix like Dolby Digital due to crosstalk in the two channels, but it does work.

6) You can chain together all the DSPs you want, but the effects may not be desirable depending on what those DSPs are doing. In your example, you shouldn't need Dolby Pro Logic at all unless you're trying to get a surround source to an external Dolby Headphone DSP and can't use S/PDIF to do so.

7) I think it's good...for gaming, anyway. I don't use it or any other headphone surround tech for music.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 7
If you have it why don't you try it yourself and decide?  Hopefully you don't need someone else to tell you what you like.  I can't speak for all such systems, Dobly and otherwise, but I use an old JVC Dobly Headphone adapter with movies and some tv and find it very good indeed with a Stax 404 headphone driven by it's own SRM3 amplifier.  The JVC amp will not of course drive an electrostatic headphopne at all and has not been too impresive with the dynamics I have tried but I suspect it might shine with an IEM.

My Kindle Fire HD has a Dolby system for the speakers which is fairly decent for a litle unit.  The headphone jack also sounds  quite good with an IEM,.  However I can't tell if it uses Dolby Headphone or not. I would guess it does or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back