Dolby Atmos for Headphones now available in Windows 10
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #61 of 109
I did it in the MS store app at the top right, next to search bar you should see your account icon, clicking that will let you log out of the MS app, so you can log into another account. Any other email address will work. You just doing this so it can Download the needed files for the Atmos heaphone part of the program. Which will then allow you to buy it on your primary email after switching back. Some reason it glitches, they need to fix that.

I edited it, can you check the Apps and Features if you have anything Creative add-on ?

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #62 of 109
Dolby Atmos headphone is useless, a few many games won't output a 5.1/7.1 signal because they choose their mix based on how many speakers they detect is installed. Nier automata is one such game, the settings stay locked to stereo and with FAR there is only stereo sound being used.

It might work properly if you can manually set the mix which is where people are probably getting best luck from but there is no way to actually verify it is working properly due to lack of diagnostic tools. (like on some sound cards, like the Auzentech Prelude you can see which 'speakers' are being used over spdif which was handy when using the Astro Mixamp)

I like Dolby HP, and I enjoyed the atmos I tried in the beta of Overwatch. It hit my ears just right, but this implementation leaves alot to be desired. Until then i'll stick with SBX over spdif

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #63 of 109
Dolby Atmos headphone is useless, a few many games won't output a 5.1/7.1 signal because they choose their mix based on how many speakers they detect is installed. Nier automata is one such game, the settings stay locked to stereo and with FAR there is only stereo sound being used.

It might work properly if you can manually set the mix which is where people are probably getting best luck from but there is no way to actually verify it is working properly due to lack of diagnostic tools. (like on some sound cards, like the Auzentech Prelude you can see which 'speakers' are being used over spdif which was handy when using the Astro Mixamp)

I like Dolby HP, and I enjoyed the atmos I tried in the beta of Overwatch. It hit my ears just right, but this implementation leaves alot to be desired. Until then i'll stick with SBX over spdif

Ye I have no reason to use Atmos when I have 7.1 from Asus and GSX 1000 . But I just want to make sure I didn't screw something , I didn't remove creative drivers before installing asus, so I remove them later. I don't know what the Atmos install when you install it the first time. anyone have an idea ? after you install it the first time it doesn't ask you to install add-on after ? if so I'm ok. because even uninstalling Atmos I still can select it from the Spatial Speaker options . Do you have Atmos to select even after you uninstalled it ?! I uninstalled the Atmos cause it caused Delay when I opened movies with potplayer, I posted in this very same thread about this issue telling to uninstall it after the trial is over.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #64 of 109
Ye I have no reason to use Atmos when I have 7.1 from Asus and GSX 1000 . But I just want to make sure I didn't screw something , I didn't remove creative drivers before installing asus, so I remove them later. I don't know what the Atmos install when you install it the first time. anyone have an idea ? after you install it the first time it doesn't ask you to install add-on after ? if so I'm ok. because even uninstalling Atmos I still can select it from the Spatial Speaker options . Do you have Atmos to select even after you uninstalled it ?! I uninstalled the Atmos cause it caused Delay when I opened movies with potplayer, I posted in this very same thread about this issue telling to uninstall it after the trial is over.

Ya, Windows Sonic and Atmos are permanant fixtures in spatial audio. Just Dolby Atmos Headphone won't work unless you purchase the UWP app.

You screwed nothing up~

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #65 of 109
What do we do if there are movies with Audio Codec as following :

Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Dolby Atmos/TrueHD Audio English 4377 kbps 7.1-Atmos / 48 kHz / 4377 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1-EX / 48 kHz / 640 kbps)

and Atmos when is chosen only limited to 16 bit. Also the GSX is limited .

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #66 of 109
There's an issue with the Dolby Access app on Xbox One - it allows you to use the DA w/headphones setting only once. If you shutdown or restart your console, the app defaults to Windows Sonic and will not allow you to select DA.

For now, I've found a workaround - uninstall, redownload and install the app EVERY time I power up my console. Plus, there's a static-like noise that I intermittently get in gaming sessions.

Could anybody please replicate this? I've left Dolby multiple messages via their Support page and in-app feedback feature. I've also contacted MS to let them know of the issue. But there's no telling when this is getting fixed. All games, apps and system functions on my console are running normally.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #69 of 109
There's a good chance most of those who have posted in this thread don't have an Xbox One, as the thread is about Dolby Atmos on PC. It may take time for someone to be able to try and replicate what you're experiencing.

I see, well, thanks for the response. I've a feeling it could be an error with Microsoft's OS for the Xbox One. Sometimes, system updates can introduce strange issues. Here's hoping someone can join in and that MS takes notice.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #70 of 109
So I am still confused as to if the Dolby Atmos for Headphones does indeed work with games like Battlefield 1? I tried DA when it was first released with the creators update and it didn't sound like it worked. There were sound cues missing and everything sounded worse than stereo audio. I use my Asus Xonar DG with DH and that works way better.

So is DA for Headphones just junk? even though its at a "hardware" level?

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #71 of 109
its the way ms did it, if they allowed you to set the number of speakers, it be an different story it doesn't. Sadly i doubt they will ever give the option to do it. I ended up using wave nx that was mentioned that some mention in another thread. which unlike dolby atmos in win10, it actually works.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #72 of 109
So I am still confused as to if the Dolby Atmos for Headphones does indeed work with games like Battlefield 1? I tried DA when it was first released with the creators update and it didn't sound like it worked. There were sound cues missing and everything sounded worse than stereo audio. I use my Asus Xonar DG with DH and that works way better.

So is DA for Headphones just junk? even though its at a "hardware" level?

Seems to work just fine for me with BF1, I have it enabled along with 7.1 virtual surround checkbox (which is what I assume bf1 uses to determine surround sound placement). I get good spatial cues with it similar to how I used to get when I was using Dolby Headphone through my old xonar sound card. I know there is no direct setting in bf1 to choose the number of speakers, but again seems to work fine for me.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #73 of 109
Seems to work just fine for me with BF1, I have it enabled along with 7.1 virtual surround checkbox (which is what I assume bf1 uses to determine surround sound placement). I get good spatial cues with it similar to how I used to get when I was using Dolby Headphone through my old xonar sound card. I know there is no direct setting in bf1 to choose the number of speakers, but again seems to work fine for me.

Well in BF1, you have the option to set it up as Home Cinema/Surround. That is how I have it set when I use my Asus Xonar DG and enable Dolby Headphone. That is how you get the right postional cues. When I use Dolby Atmos, windows still recognizes only 2 channels (stereo) so therefore, even if you you have Home Cinema/Surround set up in BF1, it will only output to the 2 channels Windows sees and wont work as intended.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #74 of 109
Well in BF1, you have the option to set it up as Home Cinema/Surround. That is how I have it set when I use my Asus Xonar DG and enable Dolby Headphone. That is how you get the right postional cues. When I use Dolby Atmos, windows still recognizes only 2 channels (stereo) so therefore, even if you you have Home Cinema/Surround set up in BF1, it will only output to the 2 channels Windows sees and wont work as intended.

Yea and thats how I have it set up, I seem to get good positional cues, but maybe its partially just placebo and partially just experience telling me where i think the sounds should be. I know its still set to 2 speakers in windows, but the turn on 7.1 virtual surround checkbox doesnt emulate 7.1 speakers? The output is always 2 channels anyways, so are you sure its not processing it as surround, doing its atmos hrtf and mixing it down to 2 speakers? I realize there is no way to tell directly in battlefield, but again, it sounds like I am getting pretty good spatial cues, front and back.

And if it isnt working, do you have any suggestions for what might work better? I tried windows sonic, but thats obviously using the same system (and didnt like the sound). I tried razer surround, but also didnt like the sound (and felt atmos gave me better positional cues).

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #75 of 109
It's my understanding that Atmos (or Sonic) need to be fed a 5.1 (or more) signal to do any processing. That's great if you have a surround capable audio card, but for folks with a laptop like myself… we're screwed.
I've been searching if there's any way to trick Windows or other software into thinking I have more than 2 speakers but so far no joy. My old MSi used to have a full 5.1 output, but my new(ish) Acer will only select stereo output. Barring this, the only option is to select surround in the game/app options - which is moot, since it looks like most games auto detect the output based on what Windows tells it. I thought I read that MS was trying to improve the detection methods, but I can be certain on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back