(Doing this again) ISO of SC, 150+ USD budget. Gaming and classic rock mostly.
Aug 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NinjaSushi2

100+ Head-Fier
So I am looking for a new sound card in the range of about 100-200 bucks. I'll say 150 for goodness sake. :D I will be using it for gaming and classic rock mostly.
Games - All kinds of games: RPGs, Shooters, Hack n slash, Horror, etc. Any game you can think of I want this sound card to excel at it.
Music - The usuals: Young, Floyd, Zeppelin, CCR, Nudgent, Stones, Who, STYX, Springsteen, etc. Pretty much ever greatest classic rock band in history.

I've been leaning towards three cards in general.
SB - Recon 3D Fatal1ty Pro or Champion
ASUS - Xonar STX
Omega Claro II

Now I know of the X1 and the Claro Halo but what is a decent SC for around 150+. Would going 200 really be that much of a jump in quality? Also I have an amp and some decent HPs. (AKG Q701).

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 6
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: X-Fi Titanium HD.

Proven gaming performance (I'm still skeptical of the Recon3D 'til my USB device arrives on Wednesday), you already have a dedicated headphone amp (thus negating the primary advantage of the C-Media cards), and it sounds great with all the classic rock I listen to.

You should be able to get it for around $100-120.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 6
I was waiting for you. lol Na the Recon3D card is pointless, I've read it countless times. (Not sure on USB drive.) Much love sir. Will be ordering it soon. But no one has ever told me what the Omega cards are all about. Are they even worth the price or just another fake deal?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 6
HT Omega...don't know much about their hardware other than that they also use C-Media chipsets (which already means I'm unlikely to buy one just because of gaming features or lack thereof), have a price premium over the Asus Xonar line, and all but the eClaro still use the PCI interface.

However, those that use them say they wipe the floor with the Xonars. It could be because of better drivers (they look closer to C-Media stock drivers like Auzentech cards, whereas Asus likes to take some liberties with that Xonar Control Panel of theirs), maybe better hardware, or who knows what else. Hard to say without a hands-on comparison, really.

But when it comes down to gaming support, X-Fi hardware is still the only game in town for those who want it all. Even if it mostly only applies to older games and the occasional new release that happens to use OpenAL, it's better to have something and not need it than the other way around.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Agreed.

Titanium is the first Creative card that competes with the upper level Xonars and HT Omega for 2 channel audio, and as to which is better for that, I'm sure we could find fanboys to argue for any of the three. But Titanium is still the  best choice for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back