Does your system sound amazing at night sometimes?
Nov 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

raddle

100+ Head-Fier
I'm asking this question here because I think high-end guys would be more likely to notice. There is more RF contamination of the power lines during the day. I don't have speakers nor all that great headphones, but I've noticed they sound REALLY UNUSUALLY good right now at about 4 am. I don't have much power conditioning, and perhaps if I had more I would notice a less pronounced effect. On the other hand, some of my speaker friends have major power conditioning and still swear there are times in the night when their systems reach new peaks of performance.

Very fun for a night owl.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 16
It's likely a two fold issue:
- there is more ambient noise during the day in general which has some impact with open headphones obviously
- power lines noise

I found power regen & conditioning to help with point no.2.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 16
I am fortunate to live in a very quiet home, so ambient noise during the day is minimal most of the time. I just couldn't believe how good it sounded last night. Makes me interested in getting power conditioning.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, I do notice how everything (I have on, like TV, stereo etc..) sounds louder at night, maybe because everything else is more quitter...

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 16
How do power regenerators work? Do they have a large transformer?

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 16
I agree that systems sound better late at night. This may be partly explained by the different and more receptive mood that we typically have at that time. But mostly, IMO, it is due to reduced noise on the line.

Regenerators are typically a form of amplifier, so they have their own power supply, transistors, etc and behave like an amp (i.e. draw their own power, so need heat sinks). This being the high end forum, appropriate models to consider would be the Power Plants from PS Audio.

Passive conditioners types can be transformer based, capacitor based, or strange voodoo based. There is no right or wrong type. None are perfect and many do more harm than good. The only thing guaranteed, this being the high end forum, is that the best ones cost $thousands.
I prefer the passive types because they are less fuss and less likely to go wrong - but only if they also deliver the goods.

I think my cap-based Audience aR4TSS is great, but it does cost almost as much as my high end amp. And then there's the power cords to consider. and... well, I'll stop there for now :xf_eek:)

I wouldn't swear to this, but I think the music still sounds better in the late hours, even with a good power conditioner in place.     

My recommendation would be to get one on loan before committing.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 16
  Makes me interested in getting power conditioning.

Your observation that things sound better at night is absolutely correct. And yes I think it has a lot to do with the reduced amount noise being introduced through the power lines. Its really worth buying some basic power conditioning equipment. I've got a Tacima CS929 which was only 25 pounds and noticeably improved things. Ultimately it would be optimal to run everything off batteries
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 16
If you're listening in the dark, there have been studies that suggest that the lower ammount of visual information your brain is processing actually can leave "room" for your other senes to work. They have "dining in the dark" for foodies for instance. I believe it is a theory called metamodal organization.

Now whether this is true or wishful thinking, who knows.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 16
If you're listening in the dark, there have been studies that suggest that the lower ammount of visual information your brain is processing actually can leave "room" for your other senes to work. They have "dining in the dark" for foodies for instance. I believe it is a theory called metamodal organization.

Now whether this is true or wishful thinking, who knows.

It seems as plausible as the theory that there is less noise in the line. Whether noise in the line matters would probably be contested on the "Sound Science" forum.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 16
My Power Plant Premier definitely shows different amounts of distortion at different times of the day, ranging from 2.5% to 3.1%. At 4am though I'd say my body is in a different state to how it is in the evening too, so there's probably something of that in there as well, if not simply less ambient noise around me.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 16
  My Power Plant Premier definitely shows different amounts of distortion at different times of the day, ranging from 2.5% to 3.1%. At 4am though I'd say my body is in a different state to how it is in the evening too, so there's probably something of that in there as well, if not simply less ambient noise around me.

Have you tried various power conditioners in addition to the Power Plant Premiere? Do you have any way of characterizing what is special about the Power Plant? Have you reviewed any power conditioners on this forum or your blog? Despite the effects of the Power Plant do you still hear the sound get better at quieter (in the line) times of day... or if you have computers or other switching power supplies in the house, does the sound get better when you turn them off?

Thanks,
Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back