Does which DAC you have really matter?
Nov 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #121 of 125
Not that I'm aware of. Even the published specs are unimpressive given the price. 10 ohm output impedance if you're using its amp (which is pretty weak, too), SNR of 103 dB, 0.01% THD+N. All inaudible beside the output impedance, but it doesn't inspire confidence compared to competitors. Plus who knows how many flaws are under the hood, coming from the makers of the uDAC. I would hope they'd step up their engineering game for an expensive product, but it's hardly a guarantee in the world of snake oil. I'd like to see some third party measurements.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #122 of 125

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. Even the published specs are unimpressive given the price. 10 ohm output impedance if you're using its amp (which is pretty weak, too), SNR of 103 dB, 0.01% THD+N. All inaudible beside the output impedance, but it doesn't inspire confidence compared to competitors. Plus who knows how many flaws are under the hood, coming from the makers of the uDAC. I would hope they'd step up their engineering game for an expensive product, but it's hardly a guarantee in the world of snake oil. I'd like to see some third party measurements.

Not sure what specs would be convincing and cannot see where you are really coming from.  I'm happy enough to rely on my ears!  I do not buy anything these days on the basis of specifications but of course must take notice of any negative test review.  Owner responses so far appear to have been positive.  Yes sometimes owner reports can result from enthusiasm over a new toy but trust me, I'm too old now to be influenced by that.  If it had not sounded better than my beloved modded Benchmark DAC1 the NuFotrce DAC9 would have been returned.  And, as I posted before, this "better" has been verified by others so is not just my opinion.  Note there have been heaps of reviews & tests on the Benchmark DAC1 and some Melbourne Audio Club members did A/B the Nugent modded DAC1 against a standard unit to give the thumbs up to the modded version.

The only reason I gave this DAC a trial is that they undertook to refund the cost if I was not satisfied with it so I figured there was not much to loose except the return postage.  Note I'm not claiming the DAC9 is the best DAC out there, but can confidently claim it is the best one I've heard and have had in this system.  If you object to it because you dislike the specs then so be it, but, with respect, I find that an unconvincing reason to rubbish it.

John

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #123 of 125
Wait a second, why are you modding a DAC-1 exactly? What could you possibly hope to improve?

Also, involuntary bias. The key word is involuntary. Being old, unsurprisingly, does not grant immunity. Did you even volume match before comparing the products?

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #124 of 125

Quote:
Wait a second, why are you modding a DAC-1 exactly? What could you possibly hope to improve?

Also, involuntary bias. The key word is involuntary. Being old, unsurprisingly, does not grant immunity. Did you even volume match before comparing the products?

Here's a thread on a guy modding his DAC1

http://www.10audio.com/benchmark_dac1.htm

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #125 of 125
Yes, apparently to make it comparable to vinyl...right...because vinyl is magical and analog 'n stuff...
Seriously, the best-case scenario from a DAC mod is no improvement, relying on the squishy thing between your ears to make up "night and day" differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back