Does what I want even exist?
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Suzi_Derkins

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am an audio newbie and keep buying headphones/earbuds to use with my cellphone over so many years, I can't even count how many I have.

Here is my situation... I am a commuter that needs to drown out all the loud talkers on my train. Here's what I am looking for. Does it exist? Any recommendations?

Quality sound reproduction for music, white noise, and audio books
Noise Isolation - Drowns out others, but does not have to be noise cancellation
Bluetooth
In ear preferred for portability
Under $400

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 23
If your priority is sound quality, then go with a wired headphone. Bluetooth is better suited for gym use, when you are willing to sacrifice sound quality to eliminate the cord.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 23
Sennheiser HD1 Wireless is a great option, not an in-ear but great headphone nonetheless. Just don't buy directly from Sennheiser, their prices are too high IMO. Amazon should have a better deal

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 23
They have an in ear version HD1 free. I tried inserting the link but it wouldn't work. I was on their website. What do you think?
I'm familiar with it, I think 150 is a fair price. Perhaps Amazon or other places have it for even less. I've heard good things about it

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 23
Here is my situation... I am a commuter that needs to drown out all the loud talkers on my train. Here's what I am looking for. Does it exist? Any recommendations?
Bluetooth
Under $400

Any IEM within your budget that you can get a good fit with can be used with the Fiio BTR1 Bluetooth clip-on DAC-HPamp. Clip it to your shirt, order a short cable or use some kind of cable management winder, and you don't have to buy a BT system that might not sound as good.

Something like the Shure SE425, or RHA-T10, plus the BTR1

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 23
Any IEM within your budget that you can get a good fit with can be used with the Fiio BTR1 Bluetooth clip-on DAC-HPamp. Clip it to your shirt, order a short cable or use some kind of cable management winder, and you don't have to buy a BT system that might not sound as good.

Something like the Shure SE425, or RHA-T10, plus the BTR1

I didn't know such a thing existed! I am reading the review on iLounge, but I failed to mention I use an Android phone, the Google Pixel 2XL which also does not have a headphone jack. Is there anything similar that will work with the Android OS?

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 23
I didn't know such a thing existed! I am reading the review on iLounge, but I failed to mention I use an Android phone, the Google Pixel 2XL which also does not have a headphone jack. Is there anything similar that will work with the Android OS?

It's Bluetooth. At minimum it can receive audio from any BT device. Not sure about the other features but if you want battery life better than all those other tiny, practically near useless earbuds, this will at least deal with that.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 23
Hello. I am an audio newbie and keep buying headphones/earbuds to use with my cellphone over so many years, I can't even count how many I have.

Bluetooth
Under $400

Thanks.

This is more expensive, but is the only Bluetooth quality headphones (over the ears) I seriously am in love with. I had been wanting to have a worthy Bluetooth headphones for years, but it has never been one that can satisfy my picky and tastes

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...h-headphones-ath-dsr9bt.865144/#post-13854454

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 23
Hi Suzi_Derkins,

A few options you can look at, though one thing to consider first if you're into noise isolation & sound quality, regardless whether its earphones/in ears or headphones is good fitting ear tips &/or ear pads.
You can have the best sounding earphones/in ears &/or headphones in the world but if they don't fit well, it's not much point, you'll be surprised how much this is a thing.
Also if your music source isn't at least CD quality, then it's not much point either how good your head gear is either, also a ridiculously overlooked thing...
If possible, always demo with your own source before making any decision.

Foam generally always wins over silicone for noise isolation in earphones & in ears though it depends how deep you want them in your ears as silicone generally due to the oval shape can be inserted deeper though is a personal choice on how comfortable that is.
Comply Foam is considered among the best foam & readily available for earphones/in ears.
They even have a foam range called Isolation which is basically Comfort series with good to very good noise isolation, generally blocking up +25 db depending without any audio.
This is generally better than most basic hearing protection, both ear bud & ear muff style which is generally rated up to +20 db though closer to 15 to 18 db.
For silicone, Spinfit is good but these need fairly deep insertion in the ear to be effective & some people aren't comfortable with that litterally & sometimes with music or any audio playing, it might be easy to be unaware of one's surroundings.

Regardless, whether foam or silicone, good fit is always important for good noise isolation so if possible, always try different sizes if you can, which may mean to get that better isolation seal, you may need smaller earbuds, this also includes in some cases, different sizes in either ear as everyone's ear is different.
For example, some people prefer a smaller size in one ear and a bigger size in the other.
It's also why some go to the extent for custom fitting ear buds which may be extreme in your case but I digress.

Given your budget, & I'm guessing you're in the US then here are some reccomendations, if not, some of these still work.
Also if there is a pro audio shop near you, you may be able to get some of these at lower than suggested retail.

Earphones/ In Ears
Meze 12 Classics
Shure 215 SE Blue (All Shure earphones now have bluetooth option as separate cable or package)
Audio Techica E70 (Best rated isolation for Earphones with the right ear buds, recommend Comply Isolation)

Headphones
Sony WH 1000XM2 (Best Noise Cancelling currently around with Bluetooth)
Oppo PM 3
Audio Technica MSR 7

Please note, as I own all of these, I can recommend them without reservation nor do I recommend anything I don't have experience with.

E70 is my everyday.

Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 23
Why the obsession with bluetooth? I don't get it. Bluetooth might be useful in the gym, where a headphone cable might get caught on exercise machines, and sound quality isn't so important. For commuting, I wouldn't want to use a bluetooth earphone. Also keep in mind that when you are commuting there may be many people very close also using bluetooth, adding to the possibility of interference. There may also be some interference from the train's electronics. A bluetooth earphone is another thing you will need to charge, and another thing that might run out of power while you are using it.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 23
I work in Manhattan and my phone doesn't stay in one place for long. I'm always moving it from pocket to pocket to get my train ticket, find my subway card, I put it in my backpack when I am on the go and I often have to put my bag on the floor of a crowded subway (I know, gross, but it's etiquette). A wire can get caught on a number of things during my day, train arm rests, turnstiles, etc. I just find the cord cumbersome and I am cord adverse in general. I do understand that there are drawbacks like interference to Bluetooth. I'm just trying to find the right balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back