Does using mp3 vbr files shorten battery life compared to mp3 CBR?
Aug 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JK1

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone here do any tests?

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Anyone?

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't really know (guess not), but bitrate does affect battery life. Maybe the file size is decisive, as it defines how much data have to be processed. It may depend on the audio format, though; Ogg Vorbis e.g. is known to need more processing power than MP3, despite potentially smaller files.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 12
I think Jazz is correct that the file size matters.  2 of the same file, with CBR and VBR if they are the same file size should be the same for processing power.  If the CBR is a larger file size it might use more battery processing the file

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 12
  I think Jazz is correct that the file size matters.  2 of the same file, with CBR and VBR if they are the same file size should be the same for processing power.  If the CBR is a larger file size it might use more battery processing the file

File size is not the most important factor though. For example, for spoken word podcasts, I use 32 kbps mp3 files on my Sandisk players.While this does give around 10% more run time compared to my 256 kbps music files, this difference seems to be much smaller than the difference in run time between mp3 files and non protected WMA files at the same bit rate. I estimate that WMA files get somewhere between 15% and 20% shorter run time on Sandisk players than mp3 files at the same bitrate.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 12
MP3 is the battery-friendliest format, as far as I know. And considering the sound-quality/file-size/processor-straining ratio VBR is most likely the best solution.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 12
I am looking for some numbers for vbr vs cbr, not just guesswork.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 12
So why not do the test yourself? I'm not going to do it for you.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 12
  So why not do the test yourself? I'm not going to do it for you.

I am hoping that some people have already done some testing.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 12
  File size is not the most important factor though. For example, for spoken word podcasts, I use 32 kbps mp3 files on my Sandisk players.While this does give around 10% more run time compared to my 256 kbps music files, this difference seems to be much smaller than the difference in run time between mp3 files and non protected WMA files at the same bit rate. I estimate that WMA files get somewhere between 15% and 20% shorter run time on Sandisk players than mp3 files at the same bitrate.

No disagreement there.  Was simply going on VBR/CBR for MP3.  Different formats definitely will have different results

I am hoping that some people have already done some testing.

It's going to be device dependent.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 12

No disagreement there.  Was simply going on VBR/CBR for MP3.  Different formats definitely will have different results

It's going to be device dependent.

I'm not so sure about that, although  I would like to see tests using a few different players.I have a feeling all will likely show longer battery life using cbr files. How much longer is the question.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 12
I'd say any differences are probably negligible in today's devices.  The processors/storage devices are fast enough that processing mp3s is an easy task when they are also capable of decoding DSD files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back