does type of solder matter?
Jan 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 9
You might want to ask in the DIY Forum. Plenty of solder users there.

Personally, I like the plain old 60/40 lead solder. Flows great, works great, and no tin whiskers.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 9
well it certainly can't hurt and the cost of high quality solder isn't that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe this is an extreme audiophile kind of thing, but does the type of solder matter when soldering on a cable to a plug?? what about flux, is it bad to use flux on cables??

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe this is an extreme audiophile kind of thing, but does the type of solder matter when soldering on a cable to a plug?? what about flux, is it bad to use flux on cables??

probably not, but i personally use the WBT silver solder for all my cables. cardas also makes a different blend of silver solder. just like using the best. doubt the difference is measurable at all.

by far the most important thing is the workmanship. the difference between bad and good work can be very telling.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I asked this question to the people at Blue Jeans Cable, since I knew that they'd give their objective opinion, and they said that while silver solder does have better electrical characteristics, the difference is so small that it has no real effect on signal quality. They recommended to save a few dollars and go with regular solder.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 9
I use Cardas tri eutectic solder (coper/tin/silver).

I got it super cheap though and SQ differences may be questionable, but it seems to have a low melting point which is a plus.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it super cheap though and SQ differences may be questionable, but it seems to have a low melting point which is a plus.

Yes... Most of the hardcore DIYers seem to consider usability to be the best part of using higher-quality solder. Melts faster, less whiskers, better joints, etc.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 9
how is the kester 66/44 solder?

how does it compare to 63/37 or 60/40 kester solder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back