Does Tool ruin rock/metal?
Apr 20, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #78 of 109
yes they do, even if just for anyone who doesnt own the re-masters of the albums to see the History writeup in the blog by Toby Driver.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #79 of 109
Its such a tragedy MotW are no more, I'd do anything for a remaster of "My Fruit Psychobells... a Seed Combustible". Yes I know theres Kayo Dot (who are awesome too) but theres simply nothing that can compare to Bath/LYBM...same reason why I love Tool (though they are very different).

Currently trying to get into Virgin Black (God, why are these bands so well hidden?!!). So far they seem a bit introverted, but a curious sound nontheless.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #80 of 109
you can blame Dark Symphonies for that fact, bad label (for bands).

and yes Virgin Black are certainly worth it, I was not too moved by them on the first listen of Sombre Romantic due to the interesting track placement, it isnt up until the fourth track "Of Your Beauty" where it starts to come together, Opera de Romanci and Walk Without Limbs are essentially build-up tracks.

once you get up to tracks such as Drink the Midnight Hymn, The Museum of Iscariot and Lamenting Kiss that you are struck with the full-blown Virgin Black
k1000smile.gif

Elegant ... and Dying took me even longer to get into, for ages I thought that it was not the same level as Sombre Romantic but after repeated listens over the months I have changed my mind, I suppose Elegant and Dying has a more majestic feel to it, whereas Sombre Romantic is well, more sombre and contemporary
biggrin.gif

I think that in general once one has listened to a unique sounding band and enjoying the sound, going back to the more classifiable bands may not have the same effect, although there are alot of CDs which just do not lose their fire, every time you come back to it, it has the same effect and thus making it a great CD, even if it is simply "Heavy Metal" or something else easily classifiable (at the moment I just cant go past Trail of Tears - A New Dimension of Might)

Some other albums that people here might be interested in
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet?
Atrox - Orgasm
Naamah - Resensement
Madder Mortem - Deadlands
Moonlight - Inermis
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie
Ram-Zet - Intra
Moon of Steel - Insignificant Details
UneXpect - In A Flesh Aquarium (release date coming up)
Lumsk - Asmund Frægdegjaevar
VAST - Visual Audio Sensory Theater

all of which are completely different, yet may appeal to the same crowd here.

Asmox would also have another 20-30 for you =)

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #81 of 109
I don't know how you guys keep up with all thse obscure metal bands.

I have more music than just about anyone I know (IRL), but there are still universes of music out there that I haven't even begun to investigate.

And knowing my tastes, I'm sure I would really like a *lot* of it..

evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #82 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I don't know how you guys keep up with all thse obscure metal bands.

I have more music than just about anyone I know (IRL), but there are still universes of music out there that I haven't even begun to investigate.

And knowing my tastes, I'm sure I would really like a *lot* of it..

evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Seconded!

My problem is I like so many different genres. I recently ordered about 10 CD's from Amazon marketplace and one from cdbaby. I look at the titles and it's Jazz, Bluegrass, Country, Metal, Cuban/Salsa, Classical, and World. The bad part about it is I barley touched my wish list
eek.gif

So much music so little time
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #83 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Actually the recs have been awesome but I know why I've not heard of them... I tried to look for Maudlin of the Well last night and couldn't find anything... no amazon, no google...

I just typed "maudlin of the well" into Google and got a listing of reviews, interviews, discographies, a Wikipedia page, and even the site for motW's reincarnation Kayo Dot. So, I'm curious what you mean by "no google"?

If you want to read about them, check out the Wiki and this EXCELLENT interview with the guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Oh god they have a MySpace page.

Meaning what?
rolleyes.gif

motW's breakup was a tragedy for music as an artform, IMO. I'm glad they have at least found some way to get their music out to people who might have missed them the first time around. Sure, there's Kayo Dot.. but it just isn't the same.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #85 of 109
alot of the parts on Sombre Romantic which are purely stringed instruments might remind you of Apocalyptica, Elend, Rasputina and the like because it is dark, contemporary classical music.

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #86 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
One thing that I am really interested in hearing is old stuff from the Notwist... apparently before they started their new indie electronic sound they used to be pretty hard core metal. I can't picture it myself, but it would be fun to hear.

Most of the Rock that I really like nowadays is more acoustic or lo-fi. The Gossip are amazing[listening right now]. Yeah yeah yeah's are fun... I could list more but I would probably have to run to my Wife's CD shelf to refresh my memory. She is my primary hookup for Rock.

The only Rock that I own is older experimental stuff like the Pixies and Talking Heads... and I'm a HUGE Perry Farrel fan. I used to be obsessed with early Rage Against the Machine and still like it quite a bit... Asian Dub Foundation is even better [when Deeder was with them] and mixes in a little more ethnic diversity.

Tried Opeth and it was a little much for me to take with the fake growly voice. For the Head-Fi Christmas gift exchange I recieved a Breaking Benjamin CD and a Nural CD. The Nural CD is actually pretty good, though I am still warming up to it. The Breaking Benjamin CD I can't really get into as the vocals just don't do it for me.

Checked with the Wife and she sold Aenima.
frown.gif

What would you guys recommend I pick up to test the genre waters? I could probably find Aenima used pretty easily.
wink.gif

Hey Jay,
I would've been over to check out your system by now, but I've been buried completely by exams. I do think I have an extra copy of Aenima, though, so once my exams are done (soon), I'll bring it over and you can keep it.

I think Aenima is probably the quintessential Tool album. What I've found with Tool, is that a lot of times people whose tastes tend not to range into that end of the spectrum, in terms of the harder, more aggressive metal/rock type stuff...often don't have a positive response...atleast initially. I think I was that way with them. The thing that really hooked me, with Tool, is the lyrical genius of Maynard. It depends how into philosophy you are, I think. Tool is a philosophical band, in a lot of ways...very postmodern.

Obviously their music is incredible, but musically, I think they have a lot of fans that otherwise wouldn't be into their darker and more aggressive stylings, if it was any other band.

Apr 22, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #87 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Am I the only one that thinks Tool sucks? Maybe I should give them another chance as that is quite the endorsement... any album recommendations?

no i think tool sucks too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back