Does this happen to anyone else?
Mar 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
Last night, something interesting happened. For no reason at all, I seemed to hit a state of musical euphoria. In fact, I was listened to the band Anberlin, their new album Cities. I had listened to two tracks, got distracted, and turned it off in favor of something funny on youtube. I just wasn't into it. Then, when I came back... in the course of all of an hour, and none of my gear had changed, it sounded different. For some reason, I was hearing it better, cleaner, and more detailed than ever before. I thought maybe it was just placebo, but as I just sat and listened, every song sounded better than ever. I was noticing new things in almost every song I had never heard before. I just laid their, having sort of a musical high. It was marvelous. The entire time, it just brought a smile to my face. Even this morning, listening to the same album, on the same gear, I am not getting the same vibe. I still don't know if it was all in my head or not. So... does anyone else ever have this happen to them?

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 6
2 factors!
First, an example - when an orchestra starts playing in a theatre, or concert hall......the sound seems thin, relative to what you hear later in the performance - everything, to generalize, seems fuller-sounding.
What we're experiencing is an immediate re-conditioning to how we are perceiving the sound - even though nothing has actually changed...........further there is the mood factor. Haven't you ever listened to music that seems different from the previous occasion when you first heard it? ..........then you go back again, and once it's back to being the same cr*ppy piece you thought it was the first time. The music hasn't changed, but your mood (ergo, perception of the moment) has changed.

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 6
burn-in of your headphones maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Mood factor definately make an immense difference. i cannot listen to or engage with music properly when i am angry. similarly, when i am in a good mood, the euphoria kicks in.
different moods have different effects.
thankfully, im a hapy-go-lucky sorta dude...

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 6
what we really need is a lot more happy-go-lucky dude-ettes (too many girls are too serious
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't know if it was all in my head or not.?

To the extent it was anywhere, that's indeed where it was. Some might argue it was in your heart but, really, you wouldn't say it was in your left foot, would you? It was certainly not in *my* head.

EDIT: yeah, of course stuff sounds different from one time to the next. If you're not absolutely convinced yet, try drugs (medical supervision req'd for safety).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back