does this device exist yet?
Aug 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a versatile PMP for a while now and keep finding thins that are close but not quite.  I have just started reading this subforum of head-fi and am impressed with the amount of people using-less-than mainstream devices.  So I thought I would put my wish list out there and see if anybody can point me in the direction of some good options. 

I also must mention that I use a zune 120gb right now and have no glaring complaints...it just isnt quite good enough at anything to be raving about. I really dont like having to use the zune software.

Formats:  mp3 for audio...I have lossless but dont carry it around.  320 mp3s for me.  For video...I dont mind converting to whatever since I will be shrinking it to native res most likely.

Capacity:  16gb minimum, and it needs to have memory card slot.  I like to carry a lot of media.  bigger is better.  My 120 is nearly full.

Screen:  my zune has a 3" and that is the smallest I would want.  5" would be the biggest.

Control interface:  touch screen or buttons, dont care.

SQ:  good but excellent not required.  I am using some Visang R02 IEMs so not needing an audiophile player, just better than crap.

Other features I want:  EQ would be great, 3.2mp camera, Ereader, WiFi web surfing, GPS, MS office document editing.  Having all of these features would not be required but a good selection of them would be nice.

Price:  I was about to buy an archos 5 internet tablet at $500 until I read some of the reviews that complained about the implementation of apps, so I am flex.  Like everybody, I appreciate a good value so I dont want to spend for the sake of spending.

Some obvious devices that come up are the iPhone (contract and price suck), the next gen iTouch (price, some unconfirmed features and no SD slot) , and one of the new Android phones (price and availability holding me back, as well as unknown SQ)...but I dont want phone service or a contract requirement.  If I had a good source I would buy an android phone and just not use the phone part.

so that isnt too much to ask, right :)  any suggestions?

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 10
How about the upcoming Viliv P3 Prime? It has everything except the camera. Obviously the iPhone has all the features you are looking for...

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Obviously the iPhone has all the features you are looking for...

Except the memory slot.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Except the memory slot.

Right, but you can get the 64 GB version. Even if you get a 32 GB DAP with microSD Slot, you can only go to 64 GB. If you are OK with switching out cards, the memory is infinite, but most people don't do that. So far, no DAP exists with all those requirements.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 10
It's a lot to ask, unless you have deep pockets. I'd lose the SD card requirement.  You surely don't need to carry around all your music all the time do you, let alone be able to listen to more than a fraction of it in any one day.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 10
My Droid X has decent sound, micro-SD slot, 8mp camera, 4.3" screen, wifi, ereader, gps, and great (all-metal, unlike the Evo) build quality.  I have been impressed with the SQ, but unimpressed with the location of the headphone jack.  If I can manage to get audio out of the USB port or HDMI port, it will be perfect.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
It's a lot to ask, unless you have deep pockets. I'd lose the SD card requirement.  You surely don't need to carry around all your music all the time do you, let alone be able to listen to more than a fraction of it in any one day.

Meh, my wallet holds 2 sdhc cards.  Woopty do lugging your wallet around.  I prefer SD cards to internal memory any day.  Swap between DAP, camera, phone, laptop, desktop.  Not having expansion slots is like being shackled IMO.  Not just music either, but movies, photos, etc.  Another part of the Apple indentured servitude strategy.  Free at least, free at last, Thank God almighty...free at last!   

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 10
The storage capacity comes into play with movies more than music.  I hook the zune up to the DVD system in the car and have plenty of movies for the kids to watch without having to haul around the discs.  I also have full seasons of tv shows on there that I watch here and there like at work on lunch.  I could put all the movies on SD cards and swap as needed.  big benefit there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back