Does this device exist: preamp l/O to HP adaptor
Jun 23, 2003 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Does a device exist with which one could use the output of a preamp (in this case a Cary SLP 98P) to drive 'phones?

That is, there are so many preamps with H/P outs (including Cary units) that sound great, and I'm wondering how to get the same results without messing with the guts of the preamp. The SLP 98P also cannot have this mod done to it.

So, could there be a box out there with a couple of RCAs in the back and H/P jack in the front and a few resistors or capacitors or something in between which will make the pre-out of a tube preamp sound great through headphones?

Thanks.

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I think I found it. (on headwize, of all places) Thanks kartik. It's a box by Don Morrison. I will post details once I get them. I feel like this could be good info. Perhaps we can find a way to thin out our gear. A small, inexpensive box out of a great sounding pre. Who needs a dedicated HP amp!?

just kidding...

First I'll have to find out if it is small and inexpensive... And then sell the Gilmore (when it arrives). Maybe drop ship it to someone.

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Hirsch,

I LIKE it! Thanks a lot for that.

Although... it seems ASL has some reliability problems having to do with manufacturing and initial quality. It would be nice to get a Don Morrison unit. He's just one guy. I guess price and availability will be the ultimate test.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back