Does the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 require an amp?
Nov 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

I just bought these IEM's without even thinking that I might need an amp. I will be using them with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on a daily basis.

Anyway, the specs say that it has 32 Ohm impedance. Will this require a portable amp? I already have a Fiio e6 but I do not want to take it around with me everywhere I go. If an amp will be required to drive these I will return them for sure.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 22
From what I've read so far, no, but they do benefit from an amp.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 22
Nah, they sound great without one. Comfort is the biggest issue. I find them really uncomfortable, and yet I just bought another pair from the Amazon deal. Don't know what I'll do with them. Gift them, pass 'em on thru the fs forums, backups, who knows. Anyway, an amp is always nice, but the tf10's are great without one. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 22
No, but aftermarket cables make quite a difference with these... some more so than an amp

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 22
Probably not required but it'll definitely improve the sound. My UE 700s improved a ton when I got the Fiio E11s.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 22
IMO i found my e11 amp to actually hurt the sound quality of the TF10's. The sibilance was unbearable, the sound was unnatural.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 22
They're super loud.  I haven't tried them with an amplifier but they sound good without one.  The only issue I've had is that they hiss a lot out of some headphone jacks and you need to use the included airplane adapter/attenuator to get rid of the hiss.  This is probably the case with most low impedance IEMs, though.  

Straight out of my macbook pro they hiss a bit.  They hiss with an iPod at high volumes, but at normal listening volumes it's pretty close to inaudible.  They hiss a lot of of my DAC (and they sound kind of terrible out of it) but with the attenuator they sound great out of it.  If you do use an amp you might want to use the included attenuator.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
They're super loud.  I haven't tried them with an amplifier but they sound good without one.  The only issue I've had is that they hiss a lot out of some headphone jacks and you need to use the included airplane adapter/attenuator to get rid of the hiss.  This is probably the case with most low impedance IEMs, though.  

Straight out of my macbook pro they hiss a bit.  They hiss with an iPod at high volumes, but at normal listening volumes it's pretty close to inaudible.  They hiss a lot of of my DAC (and they sound kind of terrible out of it) but with the attenuator they sound great out of it.  If you do use an amp you might want to use the included attenuator.

Does the included attenuator degrade the sound quality at all?

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 22
Not that I can tell.  It probably changes the frequency response a bit, but I can't tell the difference.  They sound fine without the adapter except when I'm using my DAC.  If they hiss or sound bad out of your amp it's worth a try using the airplane adapter; the improvement in sound is very significant and the hiss disappears entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back