Does the source really matter if I use an external DAC?
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering if the source (My laptop using foobar2000 with flac files) would matter at all if I use an external USB DAC such as the Fiio E7. I will be using it with my Sony ZX700 headphones. Using the basic headphone plug in my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520) the audio is pretty rubbish, even compared to my humble Clip+ (My only actual source component, I am on a budget!).

What is the most cost-effective way of getting better audio than my Clip+? The Fiio E7 looks good, but I was wondering if a dedicated source component would be better. Also, if I do go down the dedicated source route, what is the best source component for under £100ish? I listen to everything from alt rock to electronica if it matters.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 8
As long as Windows recognizes the device and can output to it, your laptop's "quality" won't make an audible difference, despite anecdotal evidence that might say so.

Whether the sound quality from the Fiio E7 would be any better than your clip+ could be debatable. I can't find any specs on the Clip+ but there are specs available for the Fiio E7 that seem decent.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 8
The fiio e10, the source doesn't matter to much by noise and jitter vary from laptop to laptop longs there not excessivly high there audiable you should be fine.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Ok. I thought the E10 was just an amplifier dock for the E7?

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 8
The dac inside the E7 is the best part of it (Wolfson WM8740). I tried it for a while on my netbook and it sounded quite good! Can't go wrong for the price really

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 8
I think I might get the E10, it looks really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back