Does the placement of the CDP affect the sound?
Oct 17, 2001 at 2:50 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

Another one has joined the dark side .... muuuhahaha
evil_smiley.gif

You ain't kiddin'. I just popped my Use Your Illusion I MFSL in for a quick listen, and I swear I'm hearing new things I never thought where there. The instruments also appear to have more air around them. This is great, but strange. If you would've asked me a year ago if something like this could affect the sound of a CDP I would've laughed in your face. But OTOH I also said I would never spend more than $5 on cables.
redface.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 41
Everyone who starts this hobby always seems to start with bad sources, no headphone amp, cheap ICs, and no tweaks. They also think that these things do not matter and we are all nuts for even writing about it in the 1st place. Later, for some godforsaken reason they decide to try and do what we tell them for once, and they begin to understand what we already knew. Before you know it, they are one of us and they start telling the same things to other newbies and so on and so fourth.

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by mcbiff
Ok, I've listened for a while now. And I know that everyone will laugh at me, but I hear a difference. Now, I'm sure it could very well be in my mind, but I could swear that it sounds as if a veil has been lifted. The noisefloor is also lower, and bass seems to have improved.

Oh dear, I can hear the car coming to take me away. This stuff is nuts.
smily_headphones1.gif

McBiff,

By moving the speaker, you've just moved a large magnet away from delicate electrical circuitry. Vibration aside, this can only help the rest of your components. Even shielded speakers still put out a magnetic field (although an attempt has been made to attenuate it). Jude has already mentioned the magnetic field put out by the monitor.

As an aside, several people in a Sony HDTV mail list I subscribe to remove the speakers from their RPTV's completely (since they use home theater audio components, they have no need for the speakers in the set itself). They find that this significantly affects the convergence of the set (which had been accomodating for a deflection of the picture caused by the speaker magnets). Correcting the convergence is tedious but minor, and allows for more precise focus and final convergence, and ultimately a better picture.

In dealing with magnetic fields, the inverse square law works...

Oct 17, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by mcbiff
You ain't kiddin'. I just popped my Use Your Illusion I MFSL in for a quick listen, and I swear I'm hearing new things I never thought where there. The instruments also appear to have more air around them. This is great, but strange. If you would've asked me a year ago if something like this could affect the sound of a CDP I would've laughed in your face. But OTOH I also said I would never spend more than $5 on cables.
redface.gif

mcbiff,

As you probably can imagine, I'm not surprised at all to read about the result you had -- congrats on the improvement!

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

mcbiff,

As you probably can imagine, I'm not surprised at all to read about the result you had -- congrats on the improvement!

Thanks a lot, I guess you can file me under 'believers' from now on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Everyone who starts this hobby always seems to start with bad sources, no headphone amp, cheap ICs, and no tweaks. They also think that these things do not matter and we are all nuts for even writing about it in the 1st place. Later, for some godforsaken reason they decide to try and do what we tell them for once, and they begin to understand what we already knew. Before you know it, they are one of us and they start telling the same things to other newbies and so on and so fourth.

Uh, KR - not me.

Cuz, I was young......gullible......and am now......poor(er).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back