Does the Perfect Portable Headphone Exist?
May 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just get some HD-25's with a hardwired recable? It would be worth trying the K81DJ's out, but they are pretty bassy as already stated.

[size=medium]
I am considering this option myself. I might try one last removable re-cable before I throw in the towel though.
cool.gif
[/size]

May 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]
I am considering this option myself. I might try one last removable re-cable before I throw in the towel though.
cool.gif
[/size]

What removable cables have you tried? What were your findings?

May 7, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not familiar with low cost customs. Any examples? I do know that you can get a custom sleeve for the UM2 which I have considered.

There's something nice about being able to easily slip on a pair of cans as opposed to inserting something in your ear. Geez, do I sound lazy, or what?!

Both the Livewires and Freqs are under $300, which is quite inexpensive for customs.

I do agree though that it is nice to just slip on a pair of cans...maybe I'm lazy too lol

May 7, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 35
Doesn't exist.

Customs are as close as anything has ever come in my experience. The ES2 gets me the sound, the isolation, the comfort (much, much better than any universal-fit could ever be), the drivability, and the portability. A simple X5L --> ES2 rig is just plug and play goodness, anywhere, anytime. To this day the ES2 remains my single best audio purchase.

But, if you want to add to it something that others can use, and something that you don't have to shove halfway up your skull - keep looking. If you find it, let me know.

P.S. The ES2 is from the full/lush school rather than the crisp/detailed school of sound so it may not be your cup of tea. Then again, if you like the UM2, the ES2 uses the same drivers in a custom-molded enclosure. It doesn't sound much like the UM2 though - it's brighter, much clearer, with about 4x the detail, and none of the loose/sloppy/bloated bass. The treble isn't as rolled off, though of course it's still rolled-off compared to good full-size cans. The midrange is still forward like it is on the UM2 but has a LOT more clarity.

It's a bit like a (bass-light) K340, minus the echoey coloration and occasionally strident highs. A very fluid, melodic, but still clear and (relatively) neutral sound.

May 7, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 35
I'm happy with my UM2s and find them to be very easy to listen to both musically and comfort wise. Still, they could be more comfortable (and I bet sound better) with custom molds. I'm definitely planning on getting the UM56 custom earpiece for my Westones.

May 7, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony eggos?

that's what I was thinking. MDR-D77sl? foldable and you can replace the cable i think.
just can't really hang them around your neck. or sleep with them on.

May 7, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What removable cables have you tried? What were your findings?

[size=medium]The only removable cable I have used thus far is the Headphile BlackSilver, which I find to be a bit too fragile for portable use. The headphone itself can handle all the rough treatment it is likely to encounter in portable usage, but the cable might break if it is folded too tightly. It's great for home use though.

I am considering the APS V3 cable, although I am somewhat torn on whether to have APS do a hardwire connection or a removable one. (Of course, I can also go with the cheaper and more flexible APS Portable cable.)[/size]

May 7, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #25 of 35
IMO, the SONY MDR-V6 is the only other "perfect portable" besides the HD25-1. You can still find the V6 for $70~80... it's prolly the most durable can ever made... it's pretty neutral with good, solid bass... it folds into a a nice, large fist-sized ball.

The long, thick, coily cord could be a disadvantage to some... but I typically leave the V6 in my backpack, to bring to the library or to listen on a plane, etc.

Also, I had to dig this great review back up... ENJOY!
http://home.arcor.de/tao47/15%20Clos...%20Reviews.pdf

May 7, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 35
i've been closely following the Freq threads. For under $300, they look intriguing, although how they sound could be another story.

May 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #29 of 35
The ESW9s are the closest I think to perfect closed portables. They sound better than the HD-25s though are still a little too spiked at both ends of the spectrum (not sibilant but at times excessive and fatiguing treble). However they would fail your needs for size and isolation. What's your issue with the size of the ES7s? AT make a very nice semi-hard zippered case which keeps the ESW9s safe and neatly stored. They are not great isolators though, below the ES7s on that score.

I think the reality is there is no true alternative to IEMs. I have ER-4S which I think are perfect sound wise but could be more comfortable. With the comply thin foams they are bearable and I have now accepted that there is no alternative. I keep the ESW9s though for days when I can't take the ER-4S and for movies etc.

The only other option is some of the better canal phones like AT-CK7s for the Denons etc. but I don't think those are up to scratch sound wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back