Does the HD 650 use the same or different drivers as the 580/600?
Sep 30, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Question says it all. Please only answer if you have definitive information.

Different

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
Do a Google search for Sennheiser HD650 reviews... and you'll find some descriptions of the differences. Here's one...

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-650.php

I am not looking for differences between the phones. I am curious about whether or not the drivers are actually different, as is clear from my original post. The HeadRoom review does not address this question.

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 26
The HD650 drivers are different from the HD580/600. You can see it clearly in the impedance measure of headroom. Not very different (I think they mainly managed coils to have a driver with slightly more bass and less distorsion), but enough to have a clearly audible different can from the previous ones.

Andrew

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 26
Sennheiser announced the HD 650 to have newly developed drivers in their then press release. New membrane geometry and damping measures, IIRC.

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 26
This paragraph sais it more or less clearly, as it applies to the new HD 650 with reference to previous models:

Quote:

The HD 650 are headphones with a "soul" – inspiring Sennheiser to endow them with luxuriously rich basses and pleasantly natural trebles. The frequency response covers a range between 10 and 39,500 Hz. Sophisticated system damping and a reduced-resonance, compressed cellulose fleece serve to reduce standing waves in the diaphragm and provide an even more precise sound image, especially for bass sounds. Voice reproduction too is completely authentic. A specially developed acoustic silk with precisely uniform damping properties reduces total harmonic distortion to an incredible 0.05 % (1 kHz).

The reduced harmonic distortion is confirmed by HeadRoom's measurements (and can be heard IMO).

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
The reduced harmonic distortion is confirmed by HeadRoom's measurements (and can be heard IMO).

I hear 600 and 650 different, but I hear 580 and 600 different too, so the mystery is still intact
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfie
I hear 600 and 650 different, but I hear 580 and 600 different too, so the mystery is still intact
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have the HD 580 anymore, but as far as I recall HD 580 and HD 600 are more similar (although not identical indeed) than HD 600 and HD 650. However, I'm sure that the new drivers make most of the difference. And I'm not sure if it's the above-linked press release I had in mind (the more so as I've seen it in German).

Anyway, a little mystery doesn't hurt, does it?
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 26
Check Wes Phillips write up here,

"But the biggest changes in the HD 650 are the aluminum voice-coils, the new diaphragm material, and a Kevlar-shielded OFC cable that sports a dedicated 1/4" phono plug (a phono-to-miniplug "cable reducer" is also provided). In addition to being made of a different material, the 650's diaphragms are constructed differently -- it's a membrane of variable thickness that has been tuned by ear. Not only by ear -- Sennheiser has comprehensive test and measurement facilities -- but engineer Axel Grell found that when the 'phones measured flat, they sounded harsh. So he very carefully tuned the response to have notches at 5kHz and 16kHz. These notches, speculates headphone maker-designer Tyll Hertsens, of HeadRoom, mimic the ridge notches of the concha -- the largest and deepest concavity of the external ear, or pinna -- which help you determine the azimuth and elevation of sounds."
http://www.onhifi.com/product/sennheiser_hd650.htm

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Well done, Rob. Thanks. That would seem to indicate that the drivers are indeed different.

The only problem is that the reviewer may not know what he's talking about. He mentions aluminum voice coils as a major change to the driver, but the 600, 595, 580, 555, 515, 485, and 465 all have aluminum voice coils.

The damping materials they are talking about are external to the driver itself. They are the white "fabric" sheets glued to the front and back of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back