Does the G2 iPod Support AAC?
Nov 29, 2004 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Don't shoot me: I really did search quite a bit for the answer to this question, but couldn't find it. Did the last software update for the second generation iPod include an AAC decoder, or was that reserved for G3 and later?

I just put in an order for one of those 2100mAh batteries to replace my quickly failing one, so thought I'd do a complete remodel. To this point I've been running lame-encoded MP3s; assuming I can AAC-ize my 'Pod, what encoder should I use, and what bitrate to get sound quality comparable to what I'm used to? (I forget what lame presets I used; whatever resulted in about 190-210kbps VBR files.) Any that work especially well/easily with EAC?

Much thanks.

kerely

Nov 29, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes, the 2G supports AAC. However, depending on your settings for LAME, you may get better fidelity from LAME-encoded files vs AAC at the same bit-rate.

BTW, let us know how much battery life you get with the new battery.

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 5
OT: welcome back, dude! You'll have to PM me about your time abroad. It's good to have ya back.

on topic (sort of): I'd be interested to hear about the new battery as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 5
It's debatable if you want to switch to AAC, but if so Apple recommends keeping files under 9Mb. For most popular music that puts it up to 224 kbps. Most users here seems to fluctuate between 192-320. I'm using 256 at the moment. I find it increasingly hard to hear the difference between bitrates as you move up, but 192/224 divide was obvious on some music.

One of the best things about the QT/iTunes encoder, is it's significantly faster than LAME (even when using the 'fast' tag).

EDIT: And to back up the above, I used AAC on my old 1G (firmware update prior to launching iTMS) .

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 5
blessingx, does Apple's file size recommendation apply only to AAC or is it a general guideline? The primary reason I'm interested in AAC is to reduce the overall size of my library, both on my computer and on the iPod, so I can stuff more on. I was sort of thinking, too, that using AAC may reduce the file size of long songs enough that they won't skip as the iPod has to stop and load the rest of the song -- but really, I guess a lot of those classical and jazz pieces (not to mention half-hour renditions of "Dazed and Confused") are always going to be too long to avoid the skipping.

Are AAC files of a given bitrate about the same size as MP3s, or are they smaller? What bitrate'll give me results similar to VBR MP3s at around 200kbps?

So is the iTunes ripper and encoder good enough to use, or should I find something else?

Nospam, any more comments on when MP3'd be better than AAC?

Also keep in mind that I really don't have any good headphones any more, except my ER4P, and no amps, so absolute fidelity isn't my goal.

kerely

Joey, my time abroad was all kinds of good. I was gone about eleven months in total, in Russia and Hungary, and travelled all over central and eastern Europe ... I think I got to about a dozen countries for at least a couple days apiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back