Does the fall of music ever depress you? It does me.
May 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #31 of 198
I've never heard Gaga(neither do I plan to
biggrin.gif
), but c'mon Rihanna? she's got zero skills...about Beyonce? I've never heard live w/o autotune, so I can't tell
tongue.gif

May 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 198
Nice comments about the state of our music bis.....It's just sad for what passes for music in this day and age!!! But like UNCLE ERIC said, there's great music out there!!!We just have to look harder for it.....

May 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #33 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly can't agree with very much of this. I feel like Gaga's talent is pretty manifest and I don't even like that kind of music. Same with Rihanna. Beyonce is hit or miss with me. And that's to say NOTHING about all the non-pop artists. I also feel like millions have said the same about every decade before you, and there will be someone 15 years from now talking about how the 00's were great and music sucks now. My grandparents said that my parents culture was dumbed down, my parents said my culture was dumbed down, I'll probably at some point say things are dumbed down.

I don't mean this to be offensive, but I think you're simply getting old and losing the ability to identify with anything that's new.

Fair enough. My point was that mainstream music today is void of anything musical. Whereas it was never like this before.

Lady Gaga recycles the same chord sequences over and over.....rihanna's entire records are autotuned...........mainstream music today is..... either..... I, V, vi, IV OR vi, IV, I, V over a series of hypnotic computerized drum patterns, an either blatantly autotuned voice or pitch corrected voice, and finally words about something skanky and void of any real purpose other than getting drunk in a club...............

That's it........and no I'm not getting old, I hear it for what it is, and I know that the industry is dumbing down its listeners more than ever before. That's a fact, and it can't be disputed.

May 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #34 of 198
Think about this:
It’s easier to run into the lower quality stuff in a world where anyone can post on youtube, run a website, or write a blog; where a few bucks makes you a ‘producer’ or enables you to have an ‘indie’ label; where actually playing a musical instrument well is not required (a computer isn’t a live skill); where a cool video outranks the accompanying weak music; where everyone is a ‘critic’; where the average person graduated from the University of Television. I don’t think there is more bad music, you just see more of it. Is more crap happening in the world or is there just more news coverage of it?

Also, remember the law of large numbers. If you live in a town of 500 people, there is always the village idiot. Correspondingly, how many fools will be in the town of 500,000? I am running into a ton of great music everyday. It’s just harder to find because I have to sift through so much drivel to discover the gems. I remember seeing a girl wearing a tshirt that said, “before you meet the prince, you have to kiss a lot of frogs!” Why should we music lovers have it any better?

May 2, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #37 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Trenchev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of...If I could,I'll live in the 70's....or 90's...

I was there for the 70s. Pop music was pretty bad. I haven't really listened to pop music since.

I've never worried much about the state of pop music because there's so much good music from all eras and genres that I can't possibly buy it all.

May 2, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #38 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. My point was that mainstream music today is void of anything musical. Whereas it was never like this before.

Lady Gaga recycles the same chord sequences over and over.....rihanna's entire records are autotuned...........mainstream music today is..... either..... I, V, vi, IV OR vi, IV, I, V over a series of hypnotic computerized drum patterns, an either blatantly autotuned voice or pitch corrected voice, and finally words about something skanky and void of any real purpose other than getting drunk in a club...............

That's it........and no I'm not getting old, I hear it for what it is, and I know that the industry is dumbing down its listeners more than ever before. That's a fact, and it can't be disputed.

Why are you listening to mainstream music? If you can't find music living in New York with the help of the internet, i feel sorry for you because it's clearly a problem with you. My apologies in advance for the harsh words.

May 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #39 of 198
heh if you guys think that pop artists are bad don't think try to imagine some of the 'stars' the Hong Kong and (to a lesser degree) Taiwanese music industries put out every now and then, makes 'can't sing' quite literal. I'm not at all one of those immigrant kids who are like "all Asian music suxx" but well, Lady Gaga sounds damn good after hearing some of that stuff. It doesn't help when the Triads come in either. That's not to say there's no talent in the Chinese sphere.

May 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #40 of 198
There is good music to be found, there is (infuriating) bad music to be found.

Listen to 'Beat It' by Fergie for the 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', after hearing that track in a store I can no longer think of the Black Eyed Peas without asking in thought: how stupid do you have to be to mess up an already legendary piece of good (Pop) music?

Thankfully tracks like 'Daydreamer' and 'Hometown Glory' make me forget such crimes against good music. (Some tracks should be left untouched, really.)

May 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 198
Quote:

I've been exposed to a lot of recent music, the stuff that's popular on like Z100 and the like. It's highly depressing to me to hear so much unmusical, unoriginal, autotuned garbage with no meaning.

I heard some Usher song on the radio a few hours ago and contained within it were the lyrics "Shawdee got a booty like pow pow pow, shawdee's got some boobies like wow oh wow".....I thought it was a joke until I came home, youtubed it and saw that people genuinely think this great music and take it quite seriously.

Am I getting old, or is music genuinely falling in quality very fast. It is depressing me seriously.....Yes I know there's always good music, but this is the mainstream, and i think it's absolutely worse than it ever has been.

In times like this put on some Mozart stuff (the Mozart effect).

May 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #43 of 198
Personally I have little patience for pop music usually, but you do have to give credit to the people behind the tunes. There are some people out there that have the ability to make a couple of notes more infectious than small pox.

There is so much good music out there these days, but very little is on the radio.
wink.gif

May 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #44 of 198
I don't consider the "fall of music" to be real, because there's truckloads of good music out there, so no, it doesn't bother me. I just ignore bad music. Why should one be so worried about what other people are listening to that it's depressing? I suppose there are some lines of work or social situations that might compel someone to listen to a lot of mainstream music, but otherwise, just turn it off.

May 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #45 of 198
Quote:

This is EXACTLY what my grandparents said about the Beatles. Like word for word. Just substituting "computerized drum pattern" for "really simple backbeat" and "either blatantly autotuned voice or pitch corrected voice" for "doing any number of studio takes." My grandfather would admit that Something was a good song, but other than that he thought the Beatles were overly simplistic crap and just didn't get it. It's not that he hated the Beatles, he just didn't get them. I think it's funny that you criticizze music today for being 4 chords, whereas most pop music from the 60's was straight up 3 chords, with maybe a minor ii in there during the bridge. Woody Guthrie famously said if you use more than 2 chords you're just showing off. He said this 50 years ago.

And sure Gaga isn't the best singer in the world and the words are simplistic, that's not the point. It's about the whole experience of everything she does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back