Does the er4s really need an amp?
Jul 10, 2007 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

PhantmShado

Head-Fier
Ok, so I know I'm looking to buy the reputedly neutral sound of etymotics. I've also heard that the er4s produces better sound than the er4p, but I know that I will never be buying and amp. Now, I currently use westone UM2s with a zune and find that just volume one on the zune can be painfully loud. Will it still be the case that the er4s will not function out of the zune for my ears even with the remaining 19 volume levels? If so, does the er6i have better sq than the er4p?

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 21
I believe but don't quote me that if you have hurting ears on 1 the ER4s might have to play at like 5 volume give or take because of higher impedence... I am not sure how necessary an amp is because it might screw with the neutral sound unless your amp has killer synergy

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 21
No.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I know I'm looking to buy the reputedly neutral sound of etymotics. I've also heard that the er4s produces better sound than the er4p, but I know that I will never be buying and amp. Now, I currently use westone UM2s with a zune and find that just volume one on the zune can be painfully loud. Will it still be the case that the er4s will not function out of the zune for my ears even with the remaining 19 volume levels?

Your Etys will work fine from the Zune, but your issue may be their bass reproduction (esp. after coming from UM2s) - without an amp you may want to stick with a P model. I went the opposite way and felt quite a sonic shock going from er4P > UM2 - took some getting used to. Volume setting should actually be more normal - as an example, I use my UM2s @ 12/30 and my etys @ 18/30 out of my HiMD, so that should give you a rough comparison of the diff. Good luck.
3000smile.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 21
Shouldn't the question rather be frased 'Should I buy the P or S if I never plan on getting an amp?'. The S don't need an amp but which is the best of them unamped is the important question I guess.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
huh????
smily_headphones1.gif

i've been interested in aquiring one. can you guys say why or why not???

Well, as said everyones ears are different and I can't speak for the Zune but I could never recommend any 75 ohm IEM/headphone used straight out of a Nano. ER-4S straight out of a Nano is a massive drain on the battery, doesn't get loud enough and there is no oomph or bass. So yes, I guess you could...if it was for some background listening at lower levels but you need more power to bring them to life. It's like a V-8 auto running on 4 cylinders.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 21
The ER-4S' sound is remarkably good even unamped. So I'd say it doesn't "need" an amp, in the sense that it'll be enjoyable without one. An amp makes it sound a lot better, though. If you were merely saving up for a while before getting an amp, I'd say that you have a lot to look forward to. But if you're determined never to get an amp, then I might suggest that you get the easier-to-drive ER-6 instead: if you're going to leave some of the ER-4S' performance on the table permanently, then you might as well save a few dollars as well.

FWIW I own ER-4S, ER-4P, ER-6 and ER-6i, and it has basically come down to this: ER-4S is what I use when I have an amp along, and ER-6 is what I use when I don't.

I agree with Spyro that running an ER-4S unamped does seem to noticeably affect battery life, compared with amping it.

All of the above is with an iPod (various models). YMMV with the Zune.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 21
to me, my er4-s's sound fatiguing after listening to them for a while without an amp- IMHO they sound much better with an amp

I would never buy them without one. Why not try sticking with the er4p if you don't want an amp?

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 21
An amp with a gain of 5db or less and good capacitance would do one very well. One with to much gain would not allow you enough control on the volume pot. The Xin Reference would do really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back