Does the computer matter?
Jun 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #17 of 27
dont spend money on the ups,
It should be the motherboard, latest MSI boards are crap..

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 27
bus noise is a white noise that is noticable in the sound source connected or originating from a computer, its usualy produced by unstable tension or singnal leakage in a communications bus,

now i know its coming from the motherboard becuase the pitch, tone and frequency varies depending on
- image displayed on the monitor/rendered by videocard
- Input from Human interface devices (keyboard, mouse, tablet, webcam)
- internal communication (hard drive usage)

BTW : Full computer setup
Athlon x2 6000+ Winsor (125watt)
MSI MSI DKA790GX ATI 790GX board
2GB OCZ DDR800 CL4,
Asus Ati Radeon HD4850 512MB
Be Quiet Dark power 530watt PSU (modular cabling)

Soundcards:
Hot Audio Straight USB DAC
X-Fi Xtrememusic
Auzentech X-Plosion

Bus noise is produced with all 3,
My Speakers are KRK Rokit 5 G2,

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bus noise is a white noise that is noticable in the sound source connected or originating from a computer

sounds like poor PCB shielding, whatever the mobo or the soundcard....many problems like this have been reported w/ the X-Fi Forte 7.1(from Auzentech too).

one thing you could try -and I know that sounds crazy- is to disable smooth scrolling in the IE options...seems to work for some ppl.

you next option would be to try these soundcards on an Asus/Gigabyte mobo....sounds like the mobo is the culprit
redface.gif

if you have one or several "spread spectrum" options on the mobo BIOS, try to toggle them.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #22 of 27
the biggest gains I noticed in my computer rig were in a good 80+ or 85+ psu and a sound card with good spdif out or a breakout cable that has xlr ... other than that dont get carried away

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 27
I've had internal PC noise from video cards (swapping fixed it, but I wanted to be gaming, at the time), motherboard, and power supply. My Seasonic S12 (just before they all got 80+ certs and PCI-e connectors) and GA-P35-DS3R gives me some good quiet outputs if I needed it (all the internal cards I have around are absolute crap, but now noise-free!
smily_headphones1.gif
). However, I mainly go external, due to a history of such noise problems.

It happens. Isolating the DAC is probably the best/cheapest option (if you can confirm that a given DAC uses a transformer for coaxial SPDIF input, you shouldn't need optical).

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #24 of 27
oh, i should have added -- an external card/transport is very desirable ... get the sound out of and away from the case as soon as possible !!!

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the sound out of and away from the case as soon as possible !!!

..or so they say, at least
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..or so they say, at least
wink.gif

not they, me

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 27
I've never had any "bus noise"©, and I've had many different flavors of Asus/Gigabyte/MSI mobos & Fortron/BeQuiet PSU's.

just like video tearing, I believe there's also a BIOS/hardware configuration part
redface.gif

play around w/ the "spread spectrum" BIOS options, don't share (virtual) IRQ's, disable anything that's not in use, etc etc...building a HTPC is far more complicated that it'd appear.

this guide is great BTW : http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/v0...rts%20v0.3.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back