Does the ATH-AD2000 "correct" the AD700's shortcomings?
Jul 27, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 38
Completely agree, though I was never aware of overt graininess with the
HD595. The AD700 though is a very coarse phone to my ears. Couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely agree, though I was never aware of overt graininess with the
HD595. The AD700 though is a very coarse phone to my ears. Couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes.

Burn in does wonders.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 does *NOT* have a recessed midrange. Same with the DT880'03 I listened to. Well if you compare them with K501 or a midrangey headphones like HD580, you can say they are recessed I guess.

Well I have not heard the DT880 03' but IMO the 05' version has a sucky midrange. We will just have to agree to disagree. My DR150s are by no means midrange giants and they make the DT880 05' sound recessed. The DT880s made my ad700s sound like midrange juggernauts and they were the main reason I sold my first pair of DT880s. My second go around with a well used DT880 05' purchased from a fellow headfier only re-invigorated my feelings about its midrange. Its just way too small and compressed compared to the low and high end. Unbalanced.

As far as the ad700 I am really going to have to hear them again. I might have just had a gut reaction to the k-501s midrange when I decided to sell the ad700.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have not heard the DT880 03' but IMO the 05' version has a sucky midrange. We will just have to agree to disagree. My DR150s are by no means midrange giants and they make the DT880 05' sound recessed. The DT880s made my ad700s sound like midrange juggernauts and they were the main reason I sold my first pair of DT880s. My second go around with a well used DT880 05' purchased from a fellow headfier only re-invigorated my feelings about its midrange. Its just way too small and compressed compared to the low and high end. Unbalanced.

I have no special love for the 05 DT880 but I don't think they're that screwed up in the midrange - maybe a bit too neutral & transparent. I've heard it across a few different setups and they ranged from thoroughly engaging and fluid to hopelessly dry and lifeless.

I think it's a classic case of amp synergy and also garbage-in-garbage out when it comes to the source. I'm esp wary of budget digital sources as most I'm heard tends to be on the thinner and brighter side of neutral, with harmonics all but stripped clean - a match made in hell for neutral tansparent phones.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh?

Get that thing away from me..!!!

A burn in CD didn't work so I suggested a blow torch for burn in ....
tongue.gif

After seeing the post about burn in - I have left my 700's on pink noise for days. I really can't hear any significant difference yet. Mine must already be burned in.

Also done the same with a Senn 650 (A year old) and here, I think there may be some difference. (or a placebo's hit me)

I like the sound of the 700's but still find them a little too light and airy. That may be because I'm used to the Sennheisers (Although I do switch between them and the Beyer dt880) The 700's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn though. It's just the lightweight sound that, for me, takes away from them in comparison to other headphones.

I also have the AD1000. Not as comfortable to wear since the drivers are so close that they touch your ear. They are like a 700 on steroids. Far too much clatter in the top end and lightweight bass response again. More edge than a grado!! In comparison, the 700's sound positively warm.

Still, I'll keep on burning to see if they mellow!!!!

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back