Does the ATH-AD2000 "correct" the AD700's shortcomings?
Jul 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ciphercomplete,
looking at your sig there can I conclude that you like both the hd580 and the k501 more than the ad700?

Once I got the HD580, Dr150 and the k501 I never picked up the ad700 anymore. The ad700 came off as a all-rounder with no specialty or particular strength compared to hd580 and the k501. Overall the ad700 is slightly better than the dr150 but I ended up keeping the dr150 because it was a better rock metal headphone.

I kind of wish I still had the ad700 though. Excellent, excellent midrange (my number one criteria for a great headphone). I would love to see how they sound with the new equipment I have bought since I sold them. Everytime I think about buying a new pair I just remind myself that I am saving up for the ad2000.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 38
The AD700 has SLIGHTLY recessed midrange. I was under the impression that your 501s would massacre ad700s in midrange.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So most of you guys would describe the AD700's as being a little on the bright side then? With bass but not much impact?

Out of the box, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I find with the 700's treble is that on speech, it seems to accentuate the sibilants which is why I use the 880 for radio listening. With music, it's not so obvious. I've used mine for 9 months so maybe I'll shove a load of pink noise through them to see if they turn 'creamy'.

For me, the three days of pink noise really smoothed things over. Oh how I hate admitting that it was break-in that did the trick, but then again, I never used steady pink noise before. It was always thrash metal or electronica. Pink noise hits every part of the spectrum evenly, with no sudden blasts or strains on the driver. I guess it's that steady vibration that loosens the plastic, or more accurately, "unstiffens" it.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the three days of pink noise really smoothed things over. Oh how I hate admitting that it was break-in that did the trick, but then again, I never used steady pink noise before. It was always thrash metal or electronica. Pink noise hits every part of the spectrum evenly, with no sudden blasts or strains on the driver. I guess it's that steady vibration that loosens the plastic, or more accurately, "unstiffens" it.

Agreed. I had a bit of trouble with sibilance early on but it slowly cleared up after about 25 hours of pink noise. Sound became much fuller afterwords. After 50 hours they were basically done burning in IMO. Couldn't find much difference after that.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Aaron, Read from the latest Pico review that it does not work well with AD2000. What's you take on that?

BTW, how does the AD2000 stack up against your Stax? Look forward to your respond. Thanks.

The AD2K sounds great out of the Pico, but I could perhaps clarify what other people are describing. The Pico is very neutral, so it won't warm up the sound. As donunus said, the AD2K can be dry sounding, which is not something the Pico rectifies. I think the sound is fantastic, though. Personal choice, doubtless.

Compared to Stax, it holds its own very nicely. The differences in sound are the classic case of improperly driven electrostats versus dynamics. The Stax do not hit as hard, and there is slightly more detachment, where the AD2K can rattle your brain at times (relative to the Stax). As my secondary, travel system, the AD2K does not leave me wanting more. Once I get the O2, properly driven, there is no way the AD2K will come close. Still, it tends to be "my" sound, and it was love at first listen, so make sure you try before you buy.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 has SLIGHTLY recessed midrange. I was under the impression that your 501s would massacre ad700s in midrange.

It does and its absolutely no contest. The hd580 also bests it easily as well.

I however did not find the ad700s midrange to be recessed at all. The dt880 has a recessed almost compressed midrange almost like it is all being forced down a tiny pipe. So the DT880s are my reference for a recessed midrange.

Maybe my fond memories of the ad700 are clouding my recollection but I found the ad700 to have more of a flat midrange that when coupled with lighter bass than say the Senn HD555 allows for good clarity in the midrange. This somewhat helps it when it is compared to the more spacious and detailed midrange of the k501 and hd580. Almost like it fakes having a better midrange than it actually has by sacrificing bass I guess. Sort of like how lower end Grados fake having a larger soundstage by sounding a bit airy and open.

Maybe its the midbass that is recessed?

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #23 of 38
That's a great way of explaining that. I take back the slightly recessed mid statement btw. More of an issue that is only seen out of the box. Just trying to grasp at some rational for my claim without bluntly saying "501 better midrange".

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #24 of 38
Aaron, thanks for sharing. I have a Pico on the way for office and traveling. I'll likely get a main amp if I do get the AD2000. It positively caught me off guard during a recent meet on EC ZD amp. Compared with a lot of high end cans there, only the Grado PS-1 completely beats it (L3000, GS1000, various cabled 650s etc)

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron, thanks for sharing. I have a Pico on the way for office and traveling. I'll likely get a main amp if I do get the AD2000. It positively caught me off guard during a recent meet on EC ZD amp. Compared with a lot of high end cans there, only the Grado PS-1 completely beats it (L3000, GS1000, various cabled 650s etc)

Norcal?

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 38
I know you're berkeley aaron go bears, but you wouldn't happen to be a leland alm would you... that would be far too strange.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 has SLIGHTLY recessed midrange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I however did not find the ad700s midrange to be recessed at all...

Maybe my fond memories of the ad700 are clouding my recollection ...

I was reading some of my old posts on headfi and I came across a post I made right after I sold my ad700. Guess what reason I gave for selling them:slightly recessed midrange. lol. So I guess my fond memories of the ad700 did cloud my recollection.
biggrin.gif
Although I was comparing them to the k-501s so I guess that comparison was stupid on my part.

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 38
The AD700 does *NOT* have a recessed midrange. Same with the DT880'03 I listened to. Well if you compare them with K501 or a midrangey headphones like HD580, you can say they are recessed I guess.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 38
AD700 sounds good. Put a sock in it, you damn haters. =P Don't make me spend more money. >.>

In all seriousness, AD2k has been on my wish list for some time. Though I may just skip it and go straight for Stax, keeping my 700s for gaming. I get an O2 and that's it folks, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back