Does the Alps Blue cut it?
Sep 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 23
IMHE, the difference in a stepped attenuator and an rk27 is noticeable, and have not often heard it argued that there was no difference, so the % may vary. In the other thread I did query the difference between rk27 and the TDK pots, wondering if they were better - though not rk50 or Penny_Giles quality.

I know people want to believe cheapest is always better, or at least 'adequate', but the OP asked if rk27 was lacking - and, it is. Now, what is better certainly is debatable, and whether or not the cost benefit is adequate, but the fact is that rk27 is a limiting factor in medium to upper end builds,

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

look who's interested in $100 resistors now... sure these won't bite into your rent money?

I'm not interested in $100 resistors. What I'm interested in is stepped attenuators that use metal film resistors that go for about 4 cents a piece.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I buy them from VT4C - $8 each or $7.50 at 4qty

They also carry Yarbo products which I found to be absolutely the best bang/buck in high-end connectors. 1/4" GY-635G and 50RB (copper) RCA plugs. I also really like these two RCA jacks - RCA-805FG (copper) and RCA-622FG (brass).

That's a little aladdin's cave isn't it - added to my favourites!

UB

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a little aladdin's cave isn't it - added to my favourites!

UB

Big time! Favorite store for connectors. 99% of the time, go with EMS shipping, it's usually only a little more expensive and it's very fast.

Also look at their cases, they're great bang/buck.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 23
As others have said - no, the alps doesn't cut it.

An althernative to the stepped attenuator is teh optivol (LDR volume control) from SKA - Simple Killer Amplifier by Greg Ball.

Easy to build and implement and sounds great. If you like a smooth volume conrol without the steps, its a worthwhile try.

Hope I have the site url correct, but google ska audio and it'll come up...

Fran

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

guys sorry to inject some realism here but you do realise how many sliders and pots the signal goes through before it even gets on the CD? you think all those mixing desks are using silver wire and stepped attenuators.

All I can tell you is that the situation is as I said in the op and the difference is so significant to me that I'm going through the pain in the ass of trying to jam the stepped attenuator into my PPA.
...and like I said in the op I don't think the silver wire is doing anything much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back