Does the Alps Blue cut it?
Sep 16, 2008 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rds

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems to have a reputation for being just about as good as it gets, but I'm really starting to wonder.
What brought me to this wondering is that I have two identical "maxed" PPAs in my possession right now, except that one has an ebay stepped attenuator with solid silver wire and one has a alps blue with spc wire.
I hear a significant difference between the two. The stepped PPA has this crazy 3D sound that seems to come from way outside the headphones. It is also more detailed and just in general sounds a lot nicer to me.
I don't believe the wire is making much difference. Especially since I'm using 3 foot spc interconnects and stock headphone cables.
What do you guys think? It seems the attenuator is really working some magic.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 23
In a word: no. What you are hearing, from my build experience, is the combo of the silver wire and the attenuators. I have used attenuators in all my builds except the MillettMax, and regret not doing so there. In doing so, there is a portion of detail forever lost (not sure the amount, but 2-3% would be a guestimate), but expedience is the tradeoff, especially on boards designed for the pot.

As discussed at length in the link, rk40 is no longer available in log, but somewhat in linear, if you choose to live with that.

Working with the attenuators is a bit funky on the wiring, as they sometimes work as advertised, and sometimes not. The non-smd resistor types have sounded excellent in the past, and are, in fact, used by a lot of commercial builders. The Goldpoints are excellent, but pricey. When I finally get the Bijou back (after a true gentleman and scholar bails me out yet again), we will be able to heads up attenuators across different builds, including the smd resistor types.

The rk27 has it's place - just not on any more of my builds.

Cheap ALPS can be found on eBay or here. You have to order a bunch to make the shipping work.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 23
I am planning to use a stepped attenuator, (24 way 2 gang), but am unsure which one. I don't have the time to sit a solder all those resistors so off the shelf is prefered. The goldpoint is looking good but i have not heard much about the SM versions sq wise?? has anyone done comparisons??

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 23
In theory, the ladder type pots should sound better and have better channel balance then other attenuators, as it uses 2 dedicated resistors for a voltage divider, instead of just switching positions between all of the 23 resistors.
The only ladder attenuators I know of are the ebay(some of them) and DACT ones. (i'm sure there's plenty more)
Though I haven't used one before, I would assume the goldpoint and other brand-name attenuators to have better construction than the ebay attenuators though.

Though I really like the smooth feel of the rk27, I'm curious to try a stepped attenuator now. Has anyone tried fitting one into a hifi2k galaxy case? I think the diameter of the attenuators are 38mm, and I only have about 40mm to work with. =/

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Vishay Dale SMD steppers in a lot of my builds now

Are you getting those at V4TC as well? I'd like to get to the "next level up" for some future builds, so stepped would be great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The non-smd resistor types have sounded excellent in the past, and are, in fact, used by a lot of commercial builders.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced units? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 23
Nope, I buy them from eBay. I use these. The seller is great, very fast shipping and not expensive. Just make sure to order a few at a time, $2 shipping for each additional one. They sell 10K/50K/100K values and also 4-gang balanced steppers.

I don't know about all the other stuff they sell, but maybe I'll grab a Dared MP5 next time I order from there, it looks cute
smily_headphones1.gif
Might have some room in there to max it out too.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 23
I used these in the Bijou, though I haven't yet heard them. I have used something like this, but from Taiwan, not HK, and results HK have been 50/50. I have also gotten the 50k stereo in Holco from Taiwan that were excellent.

The best by far are the Goldpoints, but performance has a price.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 23
guys sorry to inject some realism here but you do realise how many sliders and pots the signal goes through before it even gets on the CD? you think all those mixing desks are using silver wire and stepped attenuators.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys sorry to inject some realism here but you do realise how many sliders and pots the signal goes through before it even gets on the CD? you think all those mixing desks are using silver wire and stepped attenuators.

Odds are that they are using P&G or TKD pots which are some of the best in the world. Only cheap mixers have crap pots because they have last for years and years.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amen! At best I'd attribute the possible sonic benefits of a good stepped attenuator to a 1% sonic improvement. Particularly against a pot such as the ALPS. Mechanically may be a different thing though, but can't say I ride the volume dial of my headphone amps that much anyway...

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Odds are that they are using P&G or TKD pots which are some of the best in the world. Only cheap mixers have crap pots because they have last for years and years.

With the ubiquity of cheap music technology and home studios? Well maybe back in the day! :wink: Just comes down to they type of music you listen to, as it always does....

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah... not everybody is mixing on whatever Behringer special of the week.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, I buy them from eBay. I use these. The seller is great, very fast shipping and not expensive. Just make sure to order a few at a time, $2 shipping for each additional one. They sell 10K/50K/100K values and also 4-gang balanced steppers.

I don't know about all the other stuff they sell, but maybe I'll grab a Dared MP5 next time I order from there, it looks cute
smily_headphones1.gif
Might have some room in there to max it out too.
biggrin.gif

I have several of these. I used one in one of my MHMax headphone amp/preamp builds. It sounded fine as a headphone amp, but extremely loud as preamp even at the first step. Strange tho, the original RK27 sounded OK in both modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back