Does something beat the Portapro ?
May 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

skaboss

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I just broke my beloved Koss Portapro, and i'm looking for a new headphones to replace it. The only reason i don't go for another Portapro is because i would like to use it mainly on the go (bus and train), which is definitely not PP's best place...
I tested some headphones today : only the AKG K450 seemed almost buyable (in my opinion, a quality sound under the PP, but a far better isolation).
I will use it with my Ipod, without amp, and want only headphones (no IEM nor in-ears buds).
Could you please recommend me headphones that won't disapoint me after the PP, with at least some isolation, for 100$ max ?
Thanks for your help

May 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for your answer.
I read a lot of good reviews about the PX100, but AFAIK, it's an open -air headphones, just like the Portapro, so i suppose the isolation is just as bad as for the PP.
Concerning the KSC35, i actually can't stand anything in, around or behind my ears, that's why i'm looking for on ears headphones... You can see how my task to find a decent successor for my Portapro is difficult :)

May 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 14
The Koss's are very difficult to beat, even for a lot more money.

For quality portable-sized, supra-aural, closed cans, with impact & bass, under $100, I'd recommend the AKG K81DJ. If you go for the AKG's, I'd also suggest getting a set of velour pads to replace the stock pleather ones.

May 20, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7 I hear is quite nice. Not sure about the isolation though...

It has a bit, but not much.

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Koss's are very difficult to beat, even for a lot more money.

For quality portable-sized, supra-aural, closed cans, with impact & bass, under $100, I'd recommend the AKG K81DJ. If you go for the AKG's, I'd also suggest getting a set of velour pads to replace the stock pleather ones.

+1 on this! I thought the K81DJ had a great amount more energy than the Bose Triport over-ears I've long since sold. I still use the K81DJ's to actually DJ with.

I haven't tried velour pads, though.. .... .... I just googled around for the pads and had little success. Which ones would one want for these phones? I do find them uncomfortable fairly quickly when listening with both sides.

At something like $70 these days, you can get the Denon AH-D1000. I like to recommend this one since it's pretty inexpensive, sounds great, and is very light and comfortable.

May 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 14
What about Lifetime Warranty don't you understand?

May 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 14
Lol, first time I went to the Koss store, the lady told me that if I ever wanted a new pair, if my old ones were dirty or something, to just step on and break them.

May 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks a lot guys, for all your suggestions. You confirm my first impression : difficult to beat the Portapro, considering light, foldable, great sounding cans. Koss should definitely make an isolated Portapro !
I live in France, so i'm afraid a free replacement of my PP by Koss would cost me as much in postal fees as buying a new one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back