Does scratches on a CD effect sound quality besides skipping?
Mar 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #31 of 86
Found it! It's a discussion about the loudness wars when it comes to mastering. Skip to around the 25-26 minute mark or so. The bit about the glass CDs are really just a side bit and not really too relevant to the main discussion. This is pretty much the 1st and only time I heard about glass CD's, but it brings up an interesting point about the clarity of the protective clear media on CD's possibly having an effect on the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a50DcK2its

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 86
  Since a digital signal is just zeros and ones, it is not possible.
This is just as deluded as those who believe they need a silver USB cable for their DAC... totally insane.

The main thing that proponents of things like this could claim is that the laser is reading the grooves on a CD in a similar way to vinyl...but I think that would be missing the point.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #34 of 86
  Possibly the clearer the media the laser sees through the more 1s and 0s get read? 

Read about how CDs work. It is not converted to binary code (ones and zeros) until after the physical bumps on the disc are read. (Though technically, the hills and valleys on CDs are their own type of binary code.) Normal music CDs do not contain digital files on them. Enhanced CDs are more like CD-ROMS and can contain audio, video, and other digital files which can sometimes even be dragged and dropped to your computer. Any good CD player or drive already reads CDs perfectly unless the disc is damaged. If this was not so, you wouldn't be able to rip a CD. And by the way, to those who talk about timing errors, the vast majority of the time, jitter is inaudible because its level is below the threshold of audibility.

If any of my explanation does not apply to your meaning, I apologize; it's just that what you said was a little vague and I wanted to address some potential misconceptions.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 86

Read about how CDs work. It is not converted to binary code (ones and zeros) until after the physical bumps on the disc are read. (Though technically, the hills and valleys on CDs are their own type of binary code.) Normal music CDs do not contain digital files on them. Enhanced CDs are more like CD-ROMS and can contain audio, video, and other digital files which can sometimes even be dragged and dropped to your computer. Any good CD player or drive already reads CDs perfectly unless the disc is damaged. If this was not so, you wouldn't be able to rip a CD. And by the way, to those who talk about timing errors, the vast majority of the time, jitter is inaudible because its level is below the threshold of audibility.

If any of my explanation does not apply to your meaning, I apologize; it's just that what you said was a little vague.

My point was about the clearer the media, the possibility that the laser reads what's on the disc more efficiently. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #36 of 86

If any of my explanation does not apply to your meaning, I apologize; it's just that what you said was a little vague and I wanted to address some potential misconceptions.

No worries, I was just speaking in a similar terminology that GREQ was using. Didn't mean to get the idea across that the laser reads digital code directly off the music CD or something to that effect. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 86
  My point was about the clearer the media, the possibility that the laser reads what's on the disc more efficiently. 

How? It's just reading hills and valleys denoted as either/or...and the technology has been demonstrated to function flawlessly. (For example, by ripping CDs and analyzing the data with computers.) Anyway, the burden of proof lies on the ones making these claims, so I feel further speculation is best avoided. If they want to convince us of anything, it's up to them...but I won't hold my breath for it to be done in a manner remotely resembling the scientific method.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #38 of 86

Did you notice I've watched like 75 days worth of anime? XD

Indeed! I also see you have Berserk on your plan to watch list. It's a great anime but it's not for everyone. The soundtrack for that anime is actually the reason why I started this thread. Before I considered purchasing it off eBay I wanted to know if I could still rip it perfectly onto my PC regardless of there being scratches on it. Seeing as that's my only option because the soundtrack was not pressed in huge numbers. And the folks that sell them online for brand new is either a bootleg version or a repress that's probably not high quality or official. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 86
  Indeed! I also see you have Berserk on your plan to watch list. It's a great anime but it's not for everyone. The soundtrack for that anime is actually the reason why I started this thread. Before I considered purchasing it off eBay I wanted to know if I could still rip it perfectly onto my PC regardless of there being scratches on it. Seeing as that's my only option because the soundtrack was not pressed in huge numbers. And the folks that sell them online for brand new is either a bootleg version or a repress that's probably not high quality or official. 

Oh, sweet. I used to collect lots of rare music. (Selling much of my collection right now, as you can see in my sig.) I actually want to start a digital music store that licenses and sells unreleased soundtracks from movies, television series, video games, etc., but would also sell normal albums.

Is it this Berserk soundtrack? If so, I hate to break it to you, but it's available right now from CDJapan for like $21. If it's a different one, here is a list of others.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #40 of 86

How? It's just reading hills and valleys denoted as either/or...and the technology has been demonstrated to function flawlessly. (For example, by ripping CDs and analyzing the data with computers.) Anyway, the burden of proof lies on the ones making these claims, so I feel further speculation is best avoided. If they want to convince us of anything, it's up to them...but I won't hold my breath for it to be done in a manner remotely resembling the scientific method.

It only works flawlessly when the disc is being read properly. Which is most of the time, however we all experienced discs that were damaged and had errors or glitches in playback as a result of the laser not reading all of the info. I agree you are right, it is on those claiming that glass discs do sound better to provide scientific proof. I haven't heard one of them so can't say, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 86
  Hello, 

I'm wondering if scratches on a CD effect SQ other than skipping. Also, say if I were to take a scratched CD and rip it onto my computer, would it still skip? And would the rip track be flawless even if the CD was scratched up? 

Do you necessarily have to get the album on CD and rip it, or can you purchase it as a file somewhere like iTunes?

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 86
I found it for free floating around cyber space. Don't know if that's against the OPs ethics or not, but I'm sure it's against the sites rules, so I won't post it out in the open. Found it on a blog.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #44 of 86
  I found it for free floating around cyber space. Don't know if that's against the OPs ethics or not, but I'm sure it's against the sites rules, so I won't post it out in the open. Found it on a blog.

That goes for just about any music out there.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back