Does PM System suck on Head-Fi?
Mar 13, 2003 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

rc0

Head-Fier
How do people feel about the PM system here? I'm a newbie and my first attempt to purchase an item here did not go very well. Basically, I did not hear back from seller after we had an agreement and exchanged contact information. Then I found from feedback forum that the seller sold the item to another member.

The seller claimed that he sent PM to me but did not hear back from me so he sold the item to someone else. I claim that I sent several PMs, and confirmed that they were read by the seller via Message Tracking, yet the seller said the he never got my PMs.

So what do you people think? Is the PM system so unreliable here? Should I just stick with email communications when trading with another member here?

See the following for more info: He Said I Said

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 29
I was in the process of transferring computers at that time (to a Mac.
biggrin.gif
) and I did have problems with log in's and preferences during the transition.

By the way, if you had my phone number and I was unresponsive to your PM's, why not give a call?

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 29
The preferences are not stored on your computer but on the Head-Fi server as are all PMs. You cannot read or send PMs, and you cannot post messages without logging in.

The only ways for PMs to be deleted are to check the box next to the PM title and click the "delete" button at the end of the message list or else to delete the PM from inside the message itself.

This has nothing to do with the PM system but is a user-related problem.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 29
I've never had a problem with PMs. My only quirk with it is that, there's no way to save and/or export them to my computer.. so I have no history/log of transactions I've made... so now I've turned PMs off and use e-mail, allowing me to keep track on my computer..
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 29
On a few occassions, the PM alert box (you have a new message) failed to pop up, causing me to miss replying to a PM for a week! Otherwise, it works quite well, i guess the both of you are mutually to blame for the deal falling through. I tend not to delete pm's until i notice my box fill up to about 90 messages.

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

On a few occassions, the PM alert box (you have a new message) failed to pop up, causing me to miss replying to a PM for a week!

If that happens you should still see something different on the screen, like this:

[size=xx-small]jpelg - You have 0 new message(s) since your last visit.
(You have 1 unread messages and 15 total messages in all your folders.)[/size]

This shows a discrepancy between the # of new messages since last visit, and the # of unread messages. It happens occasionally with frequent viewing both from home and work. Either way, I've never had a problem sending or receiving PM's.

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
If that happens you should still see something different on the screen, like this:

[size=xx-small]jpelg - You have 0 new message(s) since your last visit.
(You have 1 unread messages and 15 total messages in all your folders.)[/size]

This shows a discrepancy between the # of new messages since last visit, and the # of unread messages. It happens occasionally with frequent viewing both from home and work. Either way, I've never had a problem sending or receiving PM's.

Yup, good tip! That's how i noticed i had an unread message, i tend not to pay attention to that, but now with checking headfi at home and work, i should keep an eye peeled on it everytime i log on.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 29
My mailbox is always getting full, which is a constant problem. If Head-fi ever cost money to join, the first thing they might do would be to increase our PM box capacities. I do appreciate the *placement* of current bandwidth limitations, though -- it's more important that one should be able to search endlessly through this site to its inception than to have more space for mail.

That being said, rc0, was it really necessary to leave William negative feedback and call him a liar? You don't really know that he was a liar because you don't live in his PM box.

The purpose of feedback is for people to report on the experience of completing the transaction, not to encourage rants from people who didn't win. You didn't end up spending any money, rc0, so you lost nothing but your temper. Whereas if you'd dealt with a really bad seller, you'd have walked away with a hole in your bank account. A bad seller misrepresents the product, takes the money, fails to ship in a timely fashion and/or doesn't respond to complaints. Read the feedback forum FAQ.

IMO, your comments made you look problematic as a buyer, not William as a seller. After reading that exchange, I'd think twice before selling to you. I'm not trying to disrespect you, rc0, I'm just telling you the truth.

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 29
FYI: PM box full.

You also need to delete the messages in the "Message Tracking" folder as those also count towards your total PM limit.

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
You also need to delete the messages in the "Message Tracking" folder as those also count towards your total PM limit.

Now this, I didn't know...
smily_headphones1.gif
I've left all my message trackings in there.. maybe I'll go clear'em out and then reenable PM.. who knows.
smily_headphones1.gif

And for notifications, for those who don't mind the occasional e-mails.. I like to have e-mail notification of PMs... just so, if I miss the popup box (which I think I disabled anyway..), it pops into my inbox anyway...

Mar 13, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
That being said, rc0, was it really necessary to leave William negative feedback and call him a liar? You don't really know that he was a liar because you don't live in his PM box.

The purpose of feedback is for people to report on the experience of completing the transaction, not to encourage rants from people who didn't win. You didn't end up spending any money, rc0, so you lost nothing but your temper. Whereas if you'd dealt with a really bad seller, you'd have walked away with a hole in your bank account. A bad seller misrepresents the product, takes the money, fails to ship in a timely fashion and/or doesn't respond to complaints. Read the feedback forum FAQ.

IMO, your comments made you look problematic as a buyer, not William as a seller. After reading that exchange, I'd think twice before selling to you. I'm not trying to disrespect you, rc0, I'm just telling you the truth.

Scrypt, the point of the buyer/seller feedback forum is to give feedback (duh). As rc0 mentioned in his feedback, he let up other deals because the seller failed to follow through without notifying him of the status of their deal. The FAQ says not to use libel in the forum, it does not say that it is only for completed deals. The seller also has the ability to respond to the comment within his own feedback thread as well as to leave feedback in the would-by buyer's thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back