Does musical taste/preference matter in a relationship?
Nov 28, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
Well, does it? I'm talking about with a significant other or possible SO, not friends. And I'd like to leave this question as general as possible and open to interpretation.

Personal anecdotes and all comments appreciated!

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 62
Everytime I've ever tried to win the affections of a woman, it would inevitably be revealed that I like death metal, and trust me, chicks really don't dig death metal (at least none of the ones I know).
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
I can deal with any styles of music, except for rap. If a girl listens to rap, she is out. No compromise. My musical preference shouldn't make any difference, because I don't own a home stereo, I only listen to music on portables through sealed headphones.

hahahaha, and you could fall in love with a girl who hates whatever you listen to.
It'll never be!
That's sad.
frown.gif

I am a music snob and the person I love with all my being knows this. I wouldn't give them up for the world.

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 62
for me, it'll probably be the difference between a good relationship and a great one.

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
for me, it'll probably be the difference between a good relationship and a great one.

Very wise comment!

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
Everytime I've ever tried to win the affections of a woman, it would inevitably be revealed that I like death metal, and trust me, chicks really don't dig death metal (at least none of the ones I know).
biggrin.gif

Ummm yes they do
biggrin.gif
Just have to look in the right places

Great if you guys like similar music, Great if you dont really like the same stuff but respect each others tastes and things.
Not so good if you cant get over the fact that they listen to X.

and yeah being Headphone Guys/Girls as we are .. helps
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

I can deal with any styles of music, except for rap. If a girl listens to rap, she is out. No compromise.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.
cool.gif
Quote:

My musical preference shouldn't make any difference, because I don't own a home stereo, I only listen to music on portables through sealed headphones.

True, in that case you don't have to subject her to that most of the time, but what about in the car? What about seeing live music? And if you're passionate about music or a certain genre of music, and she's a passive listener, is it going to be too much to overcome? These questions are not directed at you personally, I'm just posing more rhetorical questions...

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Great if you guys like similar music, Great if you dont really like the same stuff but respect each others tastes and things.
Not so good if you cant get over the fact that they listen to X.

I agree pretty much with what you said. I posed a similar question a couple of years ago at the messageboard of a band I really like. Some people were pretty hardcore about musical similarities where as others said there had to be at least a mutual respect kind of thing.

In my last relationship we had similar musical tastes and a few bands that were both our favorites. We turned each other on to new bands and went to concerts somewhat frequently.

The older I get the more I enjoy music so some common similarities when it comes to music are a plus. I don't think crappy taste in music is a total dealbreaker, but it definitely gets things off to a bad start. You have to have an interest in music somewhat. It can't just be background filler.

Nov 28, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 62
my wife and i have been together for 10 years, and are close, but have very different tastes in music. i won't go into specifics, but most of the time our music will drive the other person out of the room. the result for me is i have a better appreciation of music i never thoguht i would listen to, being as open-minded as i think i am about music. plus i know she is open as well. when i discovered the band "stars", i took her to a show and she became an instant fan. the point being, if you respect her taste in music, even if you don't agree, that's what matters.

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 62
In one word: YES!

In more than one word:
Around five 5 years ago, I met this really awesome chick as a result of our mutual interest in a band named 'Nerf Herder' (silly nerd rock band - fun stuff).

As a result, I ended up marrying said chick. I feel I am the luckyest man alive. Music is a *very* important part of my life, and I couldn't imagine living it with someone who didn't have a similar passion for music, and musical tastes.

Of corse, similar musical tastes is just one small part of the big picture - as a bonus, she is hot, is a good cook and washes my underwear!

All joking aside, she is my Queen, and I treat her as such - she makes me feel like a million bucks.

Hey that freakin' sounds like a good start for lyrics to a new song I might write...

In the spirit of my little story, here are some fun lyrics from a Nerf Herder song named 'Pantera Fans In Love' that seem appropriate to this thread in a twisted kind of way:

I bleached my hair just like Vince Neil
Then you made me cut it like James Hetfield
We're gonna put an end to alternative rock
We'll find a way to make the Cranberries stop
We went to Sears for pictures at Christmastime
But they wouldn't let us make the metal sign
No they wouldn't let us make the metal sign
I'll bring the wine you bring the bread and cheese
It's hard to eat when you're headbanging
Makin' out in the middle of the pit
How come Slayer doesn't sing about this
If anything comes between you and me
Then heavy metal heaven, that's where we'll meet
We are Pantera fans in love
What's with these punk rock nerds, they can't even sing
I wish we'd never heard of The Offspring
A candlelit dinner, now we're holding hands
I taught you how to draw your first pentagram
We went miniature golfing but we didn't get far
Because we used the clubs to play air guitar
Oh we used the clubs to play air guitar now
I'll bring the wine you bring the bread and cheese
It's hard to eat when you're headbanging
We are we are Pantera fans in love
We saw Ozzy on our first date
Our special song is Crazy Train
We are Metallica fans
We are Megadeth fans
We are Manowar fans in love

biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 62
For me, I think the key is that she has an open mind about music. Most of the women I've dated have a general interest in music and like to talk about it from time to time. Thankfully my present girlfriend is a jazz lover (we're still working on blues). Given that music (of all kinds, and the reproduction thereof) is something that I'm "into", I see it as an opportunity to help her expand her horizons. So I'm putting together a pretty nice system for her apartment and have turned her loose on my www.yourmusic.com account to help her build a collection.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 62
Yes. If she has "bad" taste in music (from my perspective) that would tell me we have little else in common. I think the music people listen to can say a lot about them. If she's into Poison, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, not likely a good match for me.
tongue.gif
That would give me clues about her background. If she's into Britney, Justin, and Christina, then it's also not likely we have the same world view, and give me clues about her maturity level.
tongue.gif
If she was into hip-hop, that would also tell me lots of things about her, and for me, those are not good things. If she listened to country, then we're likely gonna have a lot of red state/blue state issues.
tongue.gif
I don't listen to jazz or classical, but if she was into them, however, that I could gladly live with. So, it all depends I guess...

*However*, if she was *passionate* about music I don't respect, and really into it and knowledgeable, I could probably get over it.

For me, having similar tastes in all things in life is pretty crucial (as is having similar political/social outlook as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back