Does music ever make you get a little...'emotional?'
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
I don't mean to sound like a bit of a weird one but I was just listening to 'The Wind Cries Mary' by Jimi Hendrix and reading about his life and it made me a little upset, it even brought a small tear to my eye; purely because someone who can make such beautiful, spine tingling music died at such a young age. If only he was still here...
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 52
Yes.

Sadness seems to be the emotion that music can confer most readily and viscerally.

I don't think that music can just grab your mood and run the other way with it, but it can certainly amplify it a great deal. I have most certainly been brought to tears by music when I was already feeling low.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 52
If music doesnt move any emotion in me, be it sadness or happiness or aggression or hate or whatever, then it is not music. It would be just muzak, background noise. Music IMHO is supposed to touch something in you, though it doesnt necessarily evoke those feelings but it should still relate to you somehow or something inside you. And if you are in same emotional state as the music, it should either amplify it further or strengthen you, depending how you see it.

*edit* typo fix

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 52
...no comment! *stern face*

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 52
Definitely. The songs that first come to mind when thinking about what songs make me feel emotional are Jason Becker's End of the Beginning, and Shawn Lane's Gray Pianos Flying.

End of the Beginning always fills me with many different emotions as I listen through it, though it might help to know his story. There's a video with a ~4 min excerpt (the full song is about 12 minutes and far better, to me most of the best parts were cut out) available here: Jason Becker, The End of the Beginning Video by Jason Becker - MySpace Video
Though the sound quality on the video could be much better (the album version's also fairly weak since most of the instruments were synthesized at the time, excellent guitar work by Michael Lee Firkins on there though).

Gray Pianos Flying just always makes me laugh. It's a really cheesy song, but it's kind of cute. Shawn Lane's done far better stuff, and definitely far more emotionally driving stuff; but this one consistently makes me laugh, so that's something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol...I love that avatar dBs...I wonder what ol' AH is listening to Rammstein maybe?

I thought the same thing when I saw it!

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 52
Great music can easily move someone to tears, make someone more insightful, or even make someone angry. I love blues because of the way it makes me feel. It is the only genre that can really alter my emotion state and it's not only the lyrics--it's the powerful work with the guitar that makes it come together.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 52
Yes, I sometimes get a little teared up when listening to Doggy Style by Snoop Doggy Dog. The lyrics are just so... beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back