Does live music truly sound better?
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #16 of 27
for real practice , add one stage of you tube preamp with another tube , the sound will blur and the detail is lost, right?
Typically yes, because a tube amp will add distortion and if you add more distortion you’ll loose detail. Although as 71dB stated, sometimes that’s desirable musically.
the more stage of amplificaton make the more bluring and the more detail is lost
As above, in the case of tube amplification then typically “yes” but in many other circumstances, “no”. If we amplify a signal then obviously low level detail is increased in level and maybe revealed above the noise floor rather than lost in it. So in this example, the opposite of your assertion is true.

G

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 27
I definitely see where you're going with it, I've played in bands on stage before and I know entirely what a sound guy can do to ruin the sound of the band playing. I also know what the band members can do to ruin the sound of their playing. I always look at say rock or metal shows as more of that, a show. Not trying to be offensive metal is one of my favorite genres. But I couldn't see myself going to a heavy metal concert and expect good sound, so in a particular way, I think that the music might sound better on audio gear at home. Again it all depends on the venue, the sound people, the band, etc. Many variables. As far as an orchestra, I played in the orchestra at school the four years I was a music major, and I can say that live classical music is great, even more so if the venue sounds good naturally. I've played in some places in a small string ensemble that just sounded amazing back in the day. I think it's an experience.

Not to say you can't put on your headphones and lose yourself in the sound and come away with an experience. I think a lot of it's subjective. Just my opinions though.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 27
If you can go to a concert hall and see a live opera and the sound is fantastic, there's no reason an electrified concert can't sound great too, (but maybe not ginormous arena shows.) I've been to some great sounding rock concerts.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 27
If you can go to a concert hall and see a live opera and the sound is fantastic, there's no reason an electrified concert can't sound great too, (but maybe not ginormous arena shows.) I've been to some great sounding rock concerts.
I'm also going to plug blu-rays. They're a nice experience where you have the cinematography of the camera being close to the band, and most have tracks that are stereo and 5.1. I've tend to always prefer the 5.1 mix when it comes to the subwoofer levels and also hearing appropriate stadium ambience. I have a INXS concert that was remastered to 4K/Atmos. Can't say it provides any advantage over HD/5.1 of the numerous concerts I have. One recent biopic that did make use of 3D audio was Bohemian Rhapsody: it was pretty cool where they would have shots orbiting into the stadium and having height effects.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 27
By live music, I’m specifically going to focus on a metal band. Isn’t It so loud there that it drowns out the original production of sound by the drums, guitar and bass? The only thing left is what’s coming out of the speakers. Thus, if someone has high-end speakers at home they should be able to reproduce the same sound, right? Besides, if it’s too loud then earplugs should be worn, which reduces the quality of the sound. I find it more relaxing to listen at home too, which is another plus as well.

Other than metal bands, I could see why an orchestra would sound better live. Because you’re getting the sound of real, live instruments, not speakers. Or an acoustic band.

I have been doing stage monitoring (play piano and guitar in a band) for almost 20 years. Sometimes I help out at the sound board mixing too.

Just my 2 cents but the live performance sound is very different from what is heard on a recording at home.

The room acoustics and location of speakers at a live performance plays a huge factor.
Someone listening in the same room can hear differently cause of how the listener is positioned versus the ceiling/wall/speaker location. Even the material of the walls and angle of the walls affect sound. And the larger the audience, the more sound waves are absorbed.

YMMV.

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #21 of 27
People don't realize it, but a lot of live rock concerts are mixed (gasp!) in MONO! All of that secret sauce comes from distance and the structure of the venue.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 27
If the question is "Can one record a live performance so that playing it back is better than listening live?" I would say that as far as fidelity goes, it can be nearly equal with a competent recording AND playback setup. It might even pass for the real thing. But nearly is not equal. Lol. IMO, digital has the best fidelity but sounds less pleasing than analog which usually reduces the fidelity in a musical way. So in a way, a recorded performance can sound more pleasing than live, to my ears, in some cases.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #23 of 27
But nearly is not equal. Lol. IMO, digital has the best fidelity but sounds less pleasing than analog which usually reduces the fidelity in a musical way.
While some types of analogue distortion can be euphonic, personally, I don’t find hiss to be musical and prefer fidelity to distortion.
So in a way, a recorded performance can sound more pleasing than live, to my ears, in some cases.
It can go either way, a studio recording and a live performance are two entirely different things aimed at two entirely different audiences.

G

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #24 of 27
I’m biased toward records if only because I’m the one setting the SPL output. It’s really sad but I find nearly all live events too loud to be enjoyable.
On occasion, when I’m drunk and scream along some song from my teenage years, I obviously stop minding loud music, but at this point I couldn’t care less about sound quality anyway. :smile_cat:

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #25 of 27
That depends on the genre of music and the size of the venue. One of the most ear-opening concerts I ever heard was Ray Price at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace. The sound was absolutely perfect and unlike anything I'd ever heard country music sound like on record.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 27
Yes this is true as well. I've heard a few electrified concerts that sound wonderful. I think the venue has much to do with it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 27
The pinnacle of good sound to me is non amplified music in a great Hall. Boston Symphony Hall, Chicago Symphony Hall, Vienna Concerthaus, Salzburg Mozart Hall, and yes Mechanics Hall in Worcester Mass among others.

Rock? I saw Yes struggle to play Fragile note perfect. And big arena bands, outdoors, whatever you can think of. Giant banks of Marshall amps.. to small monitors for each player. Might be great entertainment- but not a template for accurate listening.

I listen to recordings from these great venues by groups of players I've heard in the same places. I also listen to recordings that are good IMO - lots of Doug Sax stuff. Use both to make assessments and hopefully enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back