Does listening metal music with HD 600, harm the headphone in any way?
Sep 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lyssky

100+ Head-Fier
In order to hear some details of the music, sometimes listen metal music with my HD 600 instead of my HD-25. I wonder if (in this or that way) this hurts my phones or not? Could you help please?

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 14
You know, I've often wondered (not all that seriously) if playing certain music could damage my headphones. I mean, I know it won't unless I like max them out while they're off my head or something. But a lot of metal isn't recorded all that great, and many times there's audible distortion in the music, which is what got me thinking of it.

Regardless, I don't have those headphones, but I'd go out on a limb and say they'll be perfectly fine. But watch your hearing for sure. I know I have a tendency to listen louder with metal.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks people, I just thought since the headphones lowers the distortion using a magnet kind of thing, I thought the harsh music could shorten the life of the mechanical stuff..

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks people, I just thought since the headphones lowers the distortion using a magnet kind of thing, I thought the harsh music could shorten the life of the mechanical stuff..

Headphones tend to be very robust because the drivers move very little to create a sound which would be perceived as loud. This is because the driver is so close to your ear and is usually acoustically coupled using ear pads.

The drivers in regular dynamic radiating speakers need to move a lot to create a loud sound and so these can be damaged by playing too loud.

The demise of headphones comes usually if they are sat on or get eaten by the dog. If the headphones have a careful owner without a dog then they will last for many many years.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Headphones tend to be very robust because the drivers move very little to create a sound which would be perceived as loud. This is because the driver is so close to your ear and is usually acoustically coupled using ear pads.

The drivers in regular dynamic radiating speakers need to move a lot to create a loud sound and so these can be damaged by playing too loud.

The demise of headphones comes usually if they are sat on or get eaten by the dog. If the headphones have a careful owner without a dog then they will last for many many years.

Lol, the funny thing is that actually I caught my dog eating my HD 600. Luckily, only the cable was eaten which I had replaced. I was on time :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 14
I've always wondered if Metal or Dubstep would destroy my headphones, but if you think about it, the driver vibrations are so quick, having slightly faster, more varied vibrations shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 14
  I've always wondered if Metal or Dubstep would destroy my headphones, but if you think about it, the driver vibrations are so quick, having slightly faster, more varied vibrations shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Don't forget, much of human speech is comprised of fast pulses of sound as the vocal cords open and close; females especially are like an ultra-fast drum machine when they speak. Something to think about.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Don't worry about it. I think I actually damaged my portable rig though, I was listening to loud metal and suddenly Merzbow started playing. Freaked me out and ever since my headphones makes a slight click sound whenever I adjust the volume. The headphones themselves are fine, it's the player that has the problem. Though I suppose I might just have not noticed the noise before that happened, I was sure I had broken something when it happened and I was looking for a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back