Does it have any influence on SQ to connect a firewire dac to laptop through a Express Card
Aug 22, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lbcliff

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a apogee minidac, but unfortunately, the usb version is discontinued and I'm using a notebook with only 4 pin firewire connection. So, i'll have to use a express card. Will it have any negative influence on the sq?

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Don't see why either.
There are afaik strong consistency checks involved in Firewire, in such way that the data stream should always be bit-identical to the receiving device.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of the minidac has to get power from the 6 pin firewire rather than its own psu, so another psu has to be used on the express card. Will it matter?

Not sure what you mean by "another psu", 99.9% chance the FW card will simply pass through the V+/V- off the motherboard to the connector, it wouldn't make sense not to. Even if it doesn't, whether this will have absolutely any effect on sound is so minute that you really need to organize your priorities better instead of worrying about something like this. This really sounds like you're driving a Honda Civic and worrying whether a $10,000 investment into Ferrari breaks will be worthwhile, there are just more important things to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back