Does Impedance Have Any Affect?
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ty123

New Head-Fier
Just bought the sennheiser Momentums, and I notice they have an oddly low impedance (18) and even apples in ear buds are 23. Is there something g I'm losing out on when the impedance is this low (like 1/5 mos headphones in the price point) because if it makes them easier to drive youd think all headphones would be a low impedance like that if there was no major drawbacks

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Also I bought a portable amp for these headphones (Fiio E6), becaus of the low impedance will the amp have lesser of of a benefit or even a disadvantage

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 6
In this case, don't even worry about it. High impedance headphones are less sensitive to hiss. Such cans can be harder to drive, but there are many more factors involved. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Mostly higher current consumption, but nothing to worry about. Lower impedances are made for portable devices, but you don't want really low impedance because then the output impedance of the amp starts to come into play, and overall, the system becomes inefficient in terms of power transfer.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks you! Also when you say sensitive to hiss what do you mean? Sorry for all the questions just that I plan in writing a review and want it to be as detailed as possible

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks you! Also when you say sensitive to hiss what do you mean? Sorry for all the questions just that I plan in writing a review and want it to be as detailed as possible

Sensitive to hiss would mean it'll convert even small amplifier noise into sound (hiss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back