Does igrado sound like an ms1?
Oct 7, 2006 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Because of all the talk of the reduced treble on the igrado i wondered if the igrado sound signature is more like the ms1 that many say has a tamer treble than sr60?I found the sr60 treble too harsh and am thinking of getting an igrado.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 21
Now that IS an interesting question!
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking at the big picture, people either love or hate the Grado house sound. On the other hand...MS-1....
plainface.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I just heard the igrado last night. Let's just say it sounds as good as it looks.

Oh, so it's like the K1000?
k1000smile.gif

Just kidding...
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

I just heard the igrado last night. Let's just say it sounds as good as it looks.

Assuming you were displeased with the iGrado, what were your dislikes?

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 21
As a portable they sound fantastic.Their sound is different..as in smoother and not as bright as lets say the sr-80.Still,they are very dynamic wonderful headphones. My only personal gripe is that headband hurts the top of my ears after several hours but is a simple compromise due to it's sound quality.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 21
Sounds as good as they look is a strange comment since the only way to really see them is to buy them since they are not sold in any store.Could you elaborate on your comment.I dont want buyers regret on this phone.

Oct 8, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Oh, so it's like the K1000?
k1000smile.gif

Just kidding...
tongue.gif

more like the opposite. the iGrado is the darkes, muddiest Grado I've ever heard. I'd choose the portaPro over it anyday. the iGrado reminds me of the old PX100, but darker and less comfortable.

The k1000 is bass lean, analytical, dang fun to listen to, and extremely comfortable. Wish I had one, but its about 700 bucks more than I'd like to spend
tongue.gif

edit, so if you can stand the possible ugly factor (though I think they look retro) I'd get the Koss portaPro or KSC75 over the iGrado.

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Assuming you were displeased with the iGrado, what were your dislikes?

1. They are hard to store. They don't fold

2. The are ugly

3. The screw doesn't pivot so you cannot adjust it for different ear sizes.

4. The size of the band is standard. If you've a big head, forget about it

5. They feel and look cheap

That's just aesthetics. Sound wise, it's just so muddy. There's no high end. It's bass, bass and bass. IMO, it doesn't have the grado signature. It's sounds like a portable open dt770. There are other better choices for below $50; px100, ksc35/75, portapro, hd201, k26p.

Btw, i love grado. I've the RS-1 and HF-1. However, the igrado just can't cut it.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

1. They are hard to store. They don't fold

2. The are ugly

3. The screw doesn't pivot so you cannot adjust it for different ear sizes.

4. The size of the band is standard. If you've a big head, forget about it

5. They feel and look cheap

That's just aesthetics. Sound wise, it's just so muddy. There's no high end. It's bass, bass and bass. IMO, it doesn't have the grado signature. It's sounds like a portable open dt770. There are other better choices for below $50; px100, ksc35/75, portapro, hd201, k26p.

Btw, i love grado. I've the RS-1 and HF-1. However, the igrado just can't cut it.

QFT!

The iGrados are VERY bass heavy, to the exclusion of mids and highs. I really find it hard to believe that they're using the SR60 drivers in them.
They weren't as uncomfortable on my head as others, but my head is on the smallish side.

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 21
Hmmm my iGrado impressions are very different from others in this thread. I use mine quarther moded and dont find it muddy at all. Compared to my ksc75s and er-6is the bass resonce is slower, but never to the point of muddy. I think the iGrado bass responce sounds more authentic because of its slightly speed. I do also believe that this phone has the "grado mid-bass hump" and with the stock earpads, its prounced even more. The bass is definately noticeable, but the treable comes out quite well/detailed when quartered. Definately not on par with my er-6is as far as detail but definately no slouch, and trumping my ksc75s(unquartered).
I recommend the iGrados for anyone looking for a good knock around grado for gym/ active use. Definately need to be quartered though.

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 21
Then what's the point of quartering it if you plan to use it for the gym?

From my personal experience with a quartered 75, within half an hour or less, tiny crystals of salt were on my driver. They still play fine, but it just bugs me...

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
more like the opposite. the iGrado is the darkes, muddiest Grado I've ever heard. I'd choose the portaPro over it anyday. the iGrado reminds me of the old PX100, but darker and less comfortable.

The k1000 is bass lean, analytical, dang fun to listen to, and extremely comfortable. Wish I had one, but its about 700 bucks more than I'd like to spend
tongue.gif

edit, so if you can stand the possible ugly factor (though I think they look retro) I'd get the Koss portaPro or KSC75 over the iGrado.

Ew, PortaPros sound really gross. iGrados must sound TERRIBLE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back