Does Great Bass and Great SQ, (clarity, soundstage, forward vocals etc.) Ever Go Hand in Hand? *frustrated*
Sep 17, 2009 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

O.D

Head-Fier
Alright guys I'm on a what seems to be, endless search for a good pair of IEM's ($200 or less) with nice quality bass (good extension) and great SQ(clarity, forward vocals, soundstage, etc.

What is starting to piss me off is that it seems the two never go hand in hand. I had Denon c710's and sold them. They have wonderfull bass (it can be overkill though), but crappy SQ (clarity, forward vocals, soundstage etc.) The vocals sound far away while the instrumentals (very sharp and un-natural) and bass are drowning out everything.

The PFE's seem so perfect in so many ways, especialy for my budget, but IVE HEARD they lack in bass, much. Great SQ, great everything, but no bass.

I need a Headphone God to help guide me to some IEM's where bass and good SQ (clarity, forward vocals, sounstage) go hand in hand? Is this going to continue to be a never ending search? Jeez.
triportsad.gif

It always seems like theres either ****ty bass and great SQ/clarity, soundstage, etc. Or Great bass and nothing else going for it (the IEM)...

I wish I could find this in a pair of IEM's without paying so darn much (300-500)

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 21
There's nothing wrong with the PFE. Change the filters and you'll get better bass.

But to get back to your original question, the reason your "SQ" goes to crap when you bloat the bass is that you're getting the wrong kind of bass. If the whole thing sounds "boomy," it's because you're getting too much midbass.

I've discovered this with bass boost, which is a wonderful thing and a ruinous thing all rolled into one. While bass does tend to crowd the headroom and narrow the soundstage, this is much more the case when the bass is not getting properly crossed over. It's the reason that bass boost can be a disaster in disguise.

On my home stereo, bass boost only worked if it didn't create a hump in the midbass. When I tweaked my crossover, I got wonderful results without that boominess that ruins everything.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 21
I'd like to hear more about how to change the filters on the PFE's. Could you elaborate on how this works? Where do you get replacement filters?

If your saying I can get a decent bass by changing the filters, consider these bought. These are one of the few IEM's that many people can come to agree on (which is re-assuring to a potential buyer). Alot of IEM's seem like they will do WONDERFUL in one thing but horribly in another. I don't enjoy googling IEM's all day I just want a solid pair and to be done with it.
beyersmile.png

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 21
All headphones have flaws. At entry-level prices, you're going to find more. The qualities you've listed are exactly what many in this hobby have been searching for over many years and have spent many thousands of dollars in the process. The trick is to choose the flaws that you can live with, especially when on a tight budget, and then focus on enjoying your music. If you're set on finding something better, my honest advice is to stick with what you have now and start seriously saving your money while doing some intensive research into what's available. Unless you have unlimited funds to buy a bunch of $100-200 iems, none of which will do all that you've asked in your op, you'll save money in the long run and increase your enjoyment if you wait a bit and get something really good that you'll keep you happy and out of upgradeitis.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All headphones have flaws. At entry-level prices, you're going to find more. The qualities you've listed are exactly what many in this hobby have been searching for over many years and have spent many thousands of dollars in the process. The trick is to choose the flaws that you can live with, especially when on a tight budget, and then focus on enjoying your music. If you're set on finding something better, my honest advice is to stick with what you have now and start seriously saving your money while doing some intensive research into what's available. Unless you have unlimited funds to buy a bunch of $100-200 iems, none of which will do all that you've asked in your op, you'll save money in the long run and increase your enjoyment if you wait a bit and get something really good that you'll keep you happy and out of upgradeitis.

I'd Like to hear what bilavideo has to say about the filter thing. Honestly I just want some headphones that sound good. I'm not a very demanding guy I mean I love my hd280 pros. If I don't like the denons there must be something bluntly unpleasent about them because I'm not a super picky person. I've felt alot of people spend more time complaining about there headphones being a little less than perfect when they should be enjoying there music for what it is. I've never really been into headphones before in my life. Im just now getting sucked into this stuff and i'm kinda in the mood to just find some clear nice sounding iems and be done with it. It was a simple search for full-sized cans, i kind of wanted it to be the same for IEMs. All kinds of feedback is appreciated hopefully this will be my last thread regarding the search for iems.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 21
I think i will save that much only for JH130Pro
biggrin.gif
, but under $200 budget Sennheiser IE7 and Klipsch Custom 3 are close to what you are looking for.... Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 21
I now have both, the PFE`s (for sale) and the ie8`s (haven`t listened yet but may thanks to P4Z from here, 300 hours burn in).
Changing the filter on the PFE is easy but you have to be careful. You take off you preferred tip, use the tool and take out and replace the tiny filter. To me there isn`t a massive amount of bass difference with the bass filter, the stock filter gives better clarity and with the right seal there isn`t much between them. I settled for the white (grey) due to the amazing clarity and via the Fii0 amp with the bass boost on sounded better than the other.

I also have the Denon C751`s which is bass heaven but SQ unfortunatley falls down when the other end of the spectrum comes into play, sibilance.

As I said just got the ie8`s and hoping that you can achieve both, bass/SQ.

One mans ear is another mans hell. Funny old game this IEM lark isn`t it?

On a side note, the Denons, remove your preferred tip, put kitchen roll or toilet paper over the grill (as a filter) put the tip back on and that knocks out some sibilance lol. Not an expensive mod.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 21
Will compound zarim;s remark re the ie7. Good soundstage ('bass bombs' are a joy to hear due to perceptive sound travel), vocals are extremely forward, freq curve decently balanced. Clarity, is where these are let down a bit but then, presumptuously, nothing that would be of great ordeal to you.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 21
Not really at that pricepoint. But have you tried Super Fi Pros?

Generally speaking I would say SE530, W3 and UM3X all have great bass and great clarity.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 21
SE530 fits the bill. Good clarity, decent soundstage, very forward vocals and nice bass. You should be able to find it pre-owned for under $300.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 21
IE7 has better midrange clarity than IE8 with great bass extention and large soundstage.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 21
I find the Klipsch X5 to have really good balance. I would love to hear the IE7 and PFE for comparison purposes, but I don't have the budget to do that.
frown.gif

I might spring for a pair of Nuforce NE-6 just for fun, though.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 21
Soundstage? Super good bass?

Victor HP-FX500? Deeper bass than the C710 and bigger soundstage.
Often compared to the IE8 (general consensus is that both have relatively the same amount of soundstage, the FX500 has better bass, IE8 slightly better mids).

Victor HP-FX500 + Koss Silicone ear cushions = yes.
For sub $200.....
Very good natural timbre as well as the driver itself as partially birchwood, which is used in a lot of musical instruments so it'll sound very natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back