Does Foobar's Volume Control Degrade Sound?
Jan 27, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Hmm... AOS had this to say... http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=25

doesn't matter if the DACs are only 24-bit. All the math is being done at 64 bits which means you don't have all the truncating and rounding issues inside the DSP. At the output to the DACs you just round off or dither down to 24 bits.

May 5, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #18 of 29
My question: Which would degrade sound more (or make the output more bit-imperfect), assuming i'm using asio4all and nuforce HDP dac/amp?

a) lowering the foobar volume. 
b) lowering system volume

the reason i'm asking is because when i connect my very sensitive westone UM3x to the HDP, the volume become very high far too quickly. Thus, i need to lower the digital volume input somehow so that i have more leeway to adjust the volume pot on the HDP. Now i'm not sure if i should lower foobar volume or system volume.

May 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 29
wow a 6 year old thread
deadhorse.gif

foobar and pc volume control is all digital meaning you reduce the volume you loose bit's , but you can get away with having the volume set to 95% in the pc and foobar without loosing sound quality.

May 5, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #20 of 29
Both reduce SQ. Better have a steady hand while adjusting analog volume. Don't touch digital settings and leave them at 100%, not 99, not 98, not anything below 100% or SQ will be degraded.

Zombie thread?
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 29
Another necro 
cool.gif

Don't agree with you guys. If the volume control is a proper implemented 64-bit volume control you won't loose anything in sound quality.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 29
The 100% master volume in windows is Wrong, It should be 0dB level Volume, which is not always 100%

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #23 of 29
It isn't? How so?

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #26 of 29
  Another necro 
cool.gif

Don't agree with you guys. If the volume control is a proper implemented 64-bit volume control you won't loose anything in sound quality.

It doesn't matter since the samples have to be quantized to 24 bits eventually, or just 16 bits if that is all your DAC accepts.
Even if the digital volume control was implemented with 128-bit floating point: If you DAC achieves, let's say, 18 bit performance and you attenuate by 12 dB (= 2 bits) you're down to 16 bit performance.

Still not a big deal unless you have a lot of extra gain in your chain (and therefore need to attenuate digitally a lot...)

The 100% master volume in windows is Wrong, It should be 0dB level Volume, which is not always 100%

Will post in your thread.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #27 of 29
Theoretically it will, but it's absolutely nowhere within the audible range of humans.

Plus, there could be benefit to be had from having the amplifier at max volume and using the software control with regards to difficult-to-drive headphones. Keeping the amp at max volume should maximize its current output while the software control keeps the gain low. This is just a guess though, don't quote me on it.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 29
Class a mono block with no pre-amp, just digital volume -> DAC -> amp.
That'd be part of my dream rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back