Does everyone really dislike the HD500's?
Nov 13, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 30
Therefore, Gluegun, even the $20 Koss KSC-5# earclip/behind-the-neck headphones whoop the $100 Sennheiser HD 500s soundly! And not to mention that even *some* of the comparably-priced Sony MDR-CD### closed-front/open-back headphones whoop those HD 500s.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 30
I paid $130 for my HD500s
frown.gif

I want to cry
frown.gif

Okay, maybe not, but they do suck quite badly for the money. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sony V-900s sound better, although I think the HD500s sound better then the V-600s at least.

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #18 of 30
speaking of resurrecting this thread...

i found it in a search, and i was wondering the exact same thing. i just ordered the HD500's for $50 on amazon, and now wondering if i should cancel the order and spend $15-$25 more on grado sr60s. if i don't have any more experience than sony mdr-ex51lp's ($40 canalphones), should i worry about this? i'm planning on getting shure e2c's anyway soon, these are just for general at-home listening, i think.

thanks!

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #19 of 30
I spent $110 on mine, there in my "stuff i wish i hadn`t wasted my money on" pile. That $110 could have gone to something better.

To me their just sound..DULL, no other way to explain it.

Take a good pair of headphones and put 2 pillows betweek the eard pads and your ears, and you have the HD 500.

BUT, they have the best comfort and durabilty you will find for under $100 IMO, this is why i should use them for traveling even though their soo huge.

EDIT: I didn`t even notice this was 3 yrs old!

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 30
I tried the 500 at Radioshack the other day and omg, it's so muddy and dark.
Can't compete with my grado sr60 by a biiiig margin

Jul 10, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 30
so what? are the grado sr-60's that much better than the hd-500's that i should cancel the order and piss my dad off to make him order these.

i'm going away for 3 weeks tomorrow, so they'll be shipped in a care package. im thinking ill try them out for the 3 weeks and then return them to amazon if i hate them. ideas?

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 30
Some record stores here have them to audition music, I hate everything I hear with these
tongue.gif

Seriously, they are much too expensive for the sound quality they offer. Basically every phone in the 50$ range slaughters them, including HP890, HD497, KSC-35 .. you name it!

-Taurui

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by phlippy22
so what? are the grado sr-60's that much better than the hd-500's that i should cancel the order and piss my dad off to make him order these.

i'm going away for 3 weeks tomorrow, so they'll be shipped in a care package. im thinking ill try them out for the 3 weeks and then return them to amazon if i hate them. ideas?

Why dont you get these http://froogle.google.com/froogle?nu...ogle&scoring=p instead they will better I'm sure.

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 30
but its more an issue of price for me. i'm about to buy some shure e2c's and im really running low on cash. the hd500's were a very quick impulse purchase. i did it more because of the one-day-only savings and a few amazon.com reviewers than if i had been planning a purchase. basically, now that i AM spending this much on full-size cans, my question is whether to return the hd500's (after trying them out, of course) and get a different pair?

the grado sr60's have been talked about very favorably in most of the "low price, good sound" threads i've seen.

*smacks self* i'll never buy phones again with out looking here! i promise!!!
confused.gif

EDIT: i'd like to include comfort and durability in the decision, as well, not just pure sound quality. im running off a rio karma generally, so i can EQ if necessary...

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 30
yes, my limit is about $75 right now, mainly because the e2c's are coming cheaper than i expected.

can the grado's be stretched or made more comfortable? and im considering the sr80's over the sr60's if they're worth the extra ~$25.

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #28 of 30
I don't own Grados but I've heard their headband can be streached and they're pretty comfortable with the Comfie pads, but you loose a bit of sound quality using them. Also, the SR-80 mainly has more bass than the SR-60 and is harder to drive.

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #29 of 30
alright. i think that now i just need to receive the senn hd500's and try them out. if i hate the sound, or even if i don't feel its worth $50, then i'll probably return them and order grado sr60's for replacement (i hear the sr80's need an amp, and im not THAT far down the head-fi road yet
smily_headphones1.gif
)

this sound like a good idea? i'm hoping the grado's (which everyone on the entire internet seem to love) will be better and worth the extra ~$20 (plus shipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back